[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Surplus center blower?

Surplus center blower?

A place to discuss air movers, blowers, vacuum motors etc . . . this is a closed forum only open to members

Postby bruce » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Does anyone happen to have the dimensions of these blowers or the layout they used on their bench when using them (a drawing would be nice)? I'm trying to see what size blower box I can fit them in without having to buy some.

I'm sure I could wade through the forum and find it but I'm being lazy . . . :D

Also who out there has used these motors in their bench build? Drop me an email or PM me and let me know how they worked out for you.

Thanks in advance

PS See what happens when I can't go down in my shop! UGH #### Doctors and restrictions.

Edited By bruce on 1189039330
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby turbodig » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:46 am

Old post, I know, but I've got 4 of these going into my bench.
They are loud and power-hungry. (rated 12A) I've got 2 more
that I'm maybe gonna use, once I see how much they flow and what they draw under normal use. Price was right at $17 each.

The inner flange is 4" exactly... my 4" holesaw made for a nice, airtight fit. The hold-down screw bosses are 3.50" on center.
I used 1 5/8" construction screws.

Outer diameter is 5.25" if I remember correctly. I can get some more accurate dimensions, if it would be helpful.

Dig
turbodig

Postby blaktopr » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 pm

Just checked today........35 left.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby slracer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi Bruce, Even if this an old post, the attached is the file for the motors Rick had. They are supposed to be the "same thing" according to the builder (but he wanted to be sure someone bought them)! :D I have 2 in my "mini" bench but could have fit 4 pretty easily. Unfortunately, I don't have power for 4. Hope this helps (very belatedly)!

Doug

PS - Here is a pic of the motors mounted on my bench.

I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:10 am

I'm not sure if Surplus Center will be getting in more blowers once the supply drys up. I found a local supplier last night online for GS Electric motors and will try and get over to them to discuss supplying blowers for our needs. Direct buy from GS Electric (Lamb) requires an order of 3000 units before they will even talk to you.

I might give it a try anyways and see what they have to say, they are located about 1 hour away from me and might be worth my while to make a drive to the Corporate office and have a chat with someone. This won't happen over night though so I'll keep everyone up to date . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby blaktopr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:58 am

Maybe if you can get a count from here or the surplus site to show where they all went. At least to show the possible future numbers based on the past ones.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm sure they sold them in lots of 4,6 or 8 so it's pretty easy for them to see someone designed something to work with them.

I can shoot them an email and see what they have to say . . . in the meantime I'm going to see if I can supply something also, even if it's just working a deal out with a supplier knowing someone is buying them to use on a flowbench and they would be buying 4-8 at a time.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Scott H » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Bruce,

The GS motors are surprisingly spendy on the Lamb website. Roughly $75.00, IIRC. If you are able to work a price break with dealers, perhaps they would also consider a bulk discount on the good ametek ball-bearing blowers.

The surplus prices on on the GS blowers were simply a once in a lifetime deal. Because of the long shaft on the Surplus Center blowers, I suspect they were a special order item. Possibly leftover from a discontinued vacuum cleaner.

When I purchased mine from Surplus Center, I did so because they were so cheap that there was almost no risk involved. 8 of them was less cost than 2 Ametek blowers. I would have ordered Ametek ball bearing blowers instead of the GS if I were looking at full retail prices.
Scott H

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:22 pm

Scott,

I agree on the Surplus Center blowers I think once they are gone they are gone and those out there who don't have them will be building a much more costly flowbench.

I think if I can approach a supplier and say "hey what kinda deal can I make for my forum membership on blowers in bulk of 4-8 at a time" I might have some leverage for a better price than what is listed for one blower or what one can make on their own.

My end goal is to keep the cost down on a PTS Flowbench build as well as other homebuilt units for everyone, I do not want to get into blower sales.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby blaktopr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Bruce the vaccuum salesman :D
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Lets not get confused here, the GS (now Ametek Lamb) blowers are two stage and ball bearing they are just a lower base model I will count tomorrow but i think i still have like 50 good ones left. Surplus Center are only single stage.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby jfholm » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:11 pm

I have 4 of the Surplus Center motors to go a long with my 4 Domels. On the Surplus Center ones I do not see a spot for the ground wire. Does anybody know where you can ground the Surplus center motors?

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby msj442 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:45 am

do you have two hots,nuetral, and a ground to your bench john?
msj442

Return to Air Movers