[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Need help with pressure transducers

Need help with pressure transducers

Any discussion pertaining to data acquisition for a flowbench application. Not limited to computer related projects, this is a catch-all for anything non-water gage?

This will keep items of like interest easy to find on the forum.

Postby jdvaughn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi Guys,
I am currently working on building a flow bench for our VT Formula Dersign team. I am in need of help in regards to finding the necessary pressure transducers. I am hoping to find a differential pressure transducer that will work with both positive pressure and vacuum. I am also looking for a sensor that does not connect to a circuit board (i.e. PCB termination) I was hoping to find a transducer that has a cable connection to the transducer. Let me know what you guys have in mind! Thanks.
jdvaughn

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Jd,

What is a "VT Formula Dersign team" ?

And what would you like this cable to output?

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby jdvaughn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:37 pm

The VT formula Design team is a team of JR and Sr Engineering students who design and build a formula race car from the gound up and then compete against other universities, in a nutshell. I was hoping to just have three wires in the cable: negative excitation, positive excitation, and signal. I was hoping for a self-conditioned sensor so it wouldnt need to be amplified to be a clean 0-10V signal. Thanks for the help!
jdvaughn

Postby bruce » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:13 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jdvaughn » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:17 am

I am currently looking at this differential pressure transducer

The reason being is that I have a 5V output from my daq system as well as it gives an amplifies output from .25 to 4.25V
I was wondering what differential pressure range you think would be useful. I was going to look at the +/- 15 psid sensor to allow for room of use. I believe tha the accuracy should still be the same, but maybe I should get the +/- 5psid transducer for even better accuracy and resolution since the diff pressure is usually so small? Would this be sufficient for high pressure exhaust and intake tests? I want to make sure I get a sensor that works well as well as covers the full range of what I need. I believe by getting a sensor that is +/- 5 psid I wouldnt have to worry about switching around the connections when going from intak to exhaust. Let me know what you think, as I am trying to order these Wednesday. Thanks.
jdvaughn

Postby 86rocco1 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:06 am

Differential pressure range of 1 psi would be adequate for most flowbench applications. Here's a much more affordable sensor you might consider, it's a 10kPa sensor (about 1.45 psi), it operates on 5V supply and has output range of 0-4.7V. The most significant difference between this sensor and the Omega sensor besides pressure range is that this sensor only measures positive pressure differentials so if you need to means negative ones, you would need to have some type of switching mechanism.

86rocco1

Postby 86rocco1 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:01 pm

I did a little more looking around, the Freescale MPXV70XX series of sensor is another you might consider. They're similar to the MPX50xx series except that the 7000 series accepts positive and negative pressures, the sensors most suitable for flowbench use are the 7kPa and 25 kPa units.
86rocco1

Return to Flowbench DAQ