[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - PTS DIY flow sensor

PTS DIY flow sensor

Any discussion pertaining to data acquisition for a flowbench application. Not limited to computer related projects, this is a catch-all for anything non-water gage?

This will keep items of like interest easy to find on the forum.

Postby Otto » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:12 pm

thanks Rick! I know everybody is all a***oles & elbows right now with no looking up, :D I agree most testing to .050 .800 but Both race Bikes 900-950 respectfully and we go into the prostock hemi of the neighbors it's almost crazy and the spring pressures :p
Otto

just another one man show
workin to play
Otto

Postby AEDCarburetors » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:03 am

Bruce Count me in
AEDCarburetors

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:49 pm

Over the past week it was decided that a new sensor was need for the differential pressure reading. The current design had some problems reading low differential pressure. We could have worked through this by making look-up tables or a conversion factor in the software but felt it was not in the best interest for the direction we wanted to go.

So that being said we are pursuing new sensors and a new circuit, Tony has already sent me the new circuit schematic and PCB layout and it features fewer parts. As soon as we are done proofing everything, I'll be getting some prototype PCB's made and get one working on my bench.

I'll keep everyone up to date on the status as we go along.

Sorry for the delay.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:39 am

Update: The new prototype printed circuit boards are being manufactured this week and I should have them in a day or two. The components are also on order and I expect them by the end of the week. I "should" have a board soldered up and ready to test by the weekend. Keep our fingers crossed that we hit a home run with the new circuit!!

The goal was to get the accuracy in the circuit and not rely on software for the accuracy. This could have been done with the original circuit as stated in previous posts but it was felt we'd look at this approach first. We can then make a better informed decision on which path to follow for the final production.

I'll keep the forum informed . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Here is a picture of the new circuit. I'll be testing it on the flowbench this weekend.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby MMack » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:19 am

Bruce, count me in, the internal struggle between the cost of electronic and the extra work of water gauges is at full force. With the lower cost of this system, I am there. Why bother with the troble of making the water system work when you can have this simplicity.

Keep up the good work.

Mike
MMack

Postby bruce » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:46 am

I'm on my way out of town for the weekend but here is a quick update; I have the prototype running on my bench for the past week playing with different plate combinations and looking at the accuracy over ranges. Personally I'm impressed with what we have been able to do for what this system will cost, as I think everyone else will be too once they get their hands on it! It will be every bit as professional as commercial products on the market and if not better than some for our application.

With that being said we are analyzing the numbers and trying to get loose ends tied up. We are looking at enclosures and all the little things to make a finished professional product all while keeping end user costs in mind! Not the most easy thing to do mind you.

Rick has the second board in his hands now so he can "finalize" Flowsoft (doubt it will ever be finalized due to adding features). Updates will be supplied here on my website so there will be no need to send anything back to me for upgrades. The unit will be shipped with Flowsoft, there will be a highend software package that will come later that will feature lots of bells and whistles. End users will be able to write their own application if they want and I'm sure there will be some third-party applications written.

As soon as we are ready I'll start taking orders and start shipping soon after that, our initial target price is going to be $250-300 for the 3 sensor package fully assembled, tested and ready to plug-in and use. Final calibration will be done by the user end.

I'm sorry this project seems to be dragging along but when you think about how remarkable it is to do what we have done in such a short period of time that we have and at the cost we have, there is not much more I can say . . . I'm sure this product is going to change the way the flowbench industry now operates! It is going to make a totally professional DIY flowbench in the price range of ~$1000-2000 for a 2-8 blower PTS build with all new parts.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby rusty105 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:38 pm

Bruce,

Are you planning on an unassembled DIY kit?

I am interested either way.

Rusty
Rusty
Race Car Design and Fabrication Forums
rusty105

Postby blaktopr » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:13 pm

I'm a dummy when it comes to the performance of computers. Here is what I got for the old "garage" tower that I would like to use. 3.6 gig hard drive, Intel Pentium 233 mmx, Windows 98 SE, and Microsft 97. Can Flosoft work on this?? What would I have to upgrade. Thanks.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby bruce » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:47 pm

Flowsoft is currently running on my PTS bench using the following laptop:

Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT 133MMX 16MB RAM, 1.3GB HD running Win98 SE. We are using this as a bare minimum system. This Laptop came from a public auction for $1.00. (Anyone have a "newer" laptop they might wanna sell or trade for some flowbench parts?)

So I'm sure most garage/shop systems will more than be able to handle it.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:14 pm

We are working on the enclosure, Rick is working on getting Flowsoft ready to go. The hardware is pretty much ready to go I'm just waiting on the software. A rough guess would be less than a month? There are about 20 people so far that have expressed serious interest so it might take a few weeks to get those units ready to go.

One change we made is it's probably not going to be offered as a kit. Each unit will be assembled in my shop and tested before shipment (this is due to the surface mount soldering that needs to be done with the sensors). We will be keeping the cost down as low as we can. Sub $300 for a 3 sensor digital manometer ready to plug in and start testing! The cost factor has been something that I have given serious though to and strived to keep it affordable for everyone to purchase.

I've been using the initial prototype copy of Flowsoft performing actual flow testing on my PTS bench now for the past 2 weeks. Passing along data to Rick for his input and coding. We know there is a lot of interest and we are working on this as fast as we can but, we also want to say, we want it to be right when it leaves here. The basic package will get everyone started and will be upgradable as new software is written. There will be no need to ship the unit back to my shop for any upgrades!

There have been updates over in the PTS plans area for those forum members who have purchased plans. I have not been keeping this side of the forum updated, sorry for the delay on updates over here.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:55 am

Bruce,

Boy am I feeling the Pressure :D or is that Depression ???

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby Darkspeed » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Looks like it will be coming along just as my bench nears completion so please put my name down as a definite for the kit when its ready and I will put my order in for the necessary orifice plates at the same time. If any deposit is needed to help things along finance wise let me know.

Andy
Darkspeed

Postby blaktopr » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:57 pm

I saw it in action today at Bruce's and I want one now. Going to have to wait until other bench priorities get fullfilled though. Everyone should be very happy with it. Well worth the money.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:17 pm

[color=#000000]All

Update on PTS Digital Monometer and FlowSoft.

At the current time the project is moving into the final stages Bruce has ordered and will build Version 3 (Looks to be the First Production version of the 3 prototype sensor Board) of the circuit board and I am moving forward with what will be the release version 1.0 Of FlowSoft Basic. I am currently the major hold up (Sorry) as my focused programming time is limited and I want to make sure the final product is sound and has the BASIC functionality to outperform Liquid Monometers and the standards versions of the other digital products.

The goal will be to have a secure section of the forum for all those that purchase PTS Digital Monometers to get updates support and share information. The plan is to provide an updated (More Bells and Whistles version for a few more dollars).

The functionality that will come in FlowSoft Basic will most likely be as follows

1.) Visual live output of Depression, Flow and Pitot Probe FPS.
2.) Ability to view live CFM at alternate preset Depression i/e if you now flow at 28
49-1183904562

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench DAQ