[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - PTS DIY flow sensor

PTS DIY flow sensor

Any discussion pertaining to data acquisition for a flowbench application. Not limited to computer related projects, this is a catch-all for anything non-water gage?

This will keep items of like interest easy to find on the forum.

Postby Boomer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:09 am

I've done a lot of reading on your forum, you guys are giving me some very interesting reading.

And count me in for a DAQ system!

Ideas for simple calculations in your software:
- simple CID calculation from bore + stroke + cylinders input
- compression ratio

And please keep me informed of your developments on the DAQ, as soon as you guys are ready to ship, send me an e-mail and I'll get the $$$$ over to ya.

Thanks

Boomer
BOOMER RACING ENTREPRISES INC.
Engine Builder - Engine Dyno - Parts - General Fabrication - Wiring

Ste-H
Boomer

Postby slracer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Hi Rick, Please add my "THANKS" to you, Bruce and Tony for all the work involved. And a special "THANKS" for all the offline help getting me started on the variable manometer on my pitot bench. It's not there yet, but the outdoor season is almost over here in the monutains so it's "play time"!

As I read through what you are planning, I need to ask if the software is Orifice bench specific or if the outputs from the hardware are generic enough to work on a pitot bench? I believe that Bruce commented once that a pitot bench would work if the pitot probe sensor was used for the basic pitot? I think that means one sensor for depression, one for pitot and one for static? Looking forward to seeing the product either way! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:37 pm

[color=#000000]Here goes,

The hardware is per say no different. It will all be in the software and only for the CFM calculation portion. Since Bruce
49-1183904562

Postby slracer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:47 pm

Rick, That is about what I expected, except for the Q1 2009 support. Does anyone have a "count" of how many orifice benches and how many pitot benches are IN USE on the Forum? Bruce can count both of his! I built a pitot because I THOUGHT I knew what was happening. WRONG! I am still not sure how the orifice works! :p Thanks again for ALL the help!

Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby bruce » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:58 pm

Doug,

I have sent out more PTS orifice bench plans than I have averaging tubes for pitot style flowbenches. There are a few flowbenches here on the forum built using a flow element and flow computer from another vendor but they would not benefit from PTS Flowsoft. At one time I thought about making a set of plans for a pitot/flow element bench but have since said "why"?

Since I have my PTS bench built I would never go back to my old pitot bench!!! (Yes I am gloating and I have good reason to, I've built both style benches) I was thinking the other evening of even taking my pitot bench apart to make more room in my shop but, guess I'll have to keep it together long enough to workout a pitot version of Flowsoft (well to help Rick workout a PTS Pitot Flowsoft) :)

Edited By bruce on 1227477686
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Doug,

I know you know the difference and once you think about it, it will all make sense. As you know the Pitot bench uses a known diameter pipe and an averaging tube to measure the speed of the air in the pipe (Incline Monometer). If we know these two factors at a given depression/pressure we can calculate the volume of air flowing through the tube. Conversely in an orifice bench we have a known size orifice and we flow to our preset depression/pressure then with the incline we measure the differential pressure across the orifice. The math says for a know orifice with a differential pressure of X (Delta P = incline monometer) we can calculate how much air is flowing though the orifice.

So in both cases the incline monometer reading is being converted to air flow mathematically So my pea brain just need to add a toggle between two different formulas and how they may differ in calibration to make the update. I am not sure if you feel Q1 2009 is sooner or later than what you expected? But if you are thinking you are going to go electronic, you can be a test Guinea Pig and maybe I could get it done sooner :p

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby slracer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:11 am

Hi Rick, Actually I was surprised that you were going to support the Pitot Bench at all. With the PTS bench being Orifice and the DAQ hardware setup for that, it would make sense to spend the time and effort there. If I remember what Bruce said, it would require 4 sensors for pitot with probe (and it seems that the probe may be the most important part of porting from recent forum threads). One for depression, one for static, one for the pitot (and that adds some questions) and finally the probe. Since I use an averaging pitot, I am interested in how an electronic sensor is used. All I can think of is a single sensor and "calibration" to the single. Or is the averaging pickup still used and that input to the electronic "manometer"? As I said when we started the DAQ thread, I don't trust what I can't see (or feel) so I don't know anything about electronics. Looking forward to seeing what develops! -- Doug
slracer

Postby bruce » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:11 am

The PTS digital manometer (DM) as it is built with 3 sensors will work for pitot style benches it just needs the code in software to do the math. My main focus is to support all the people who have purchased the plans and are interested in the DM. Once we have that under control we'll look at the other upgrades which will include coding for pitot benches (if Rick is up for the task ::big grin:: )

We have a few other ideas for future upgrades to the DM that will be adaptable to the basic PTS DM. We looked at the design from the start for easy upgradeability by the end user, no sending it back to PTS for 1-2 weeks. Software/hardware support will be available here on the forum.

We are really just scratching the surface of "what can be" with the release of the PTS DM Flowsoft basic . . . but we have to start somewhere. Originally we wanted this to be a DIY project but soon found it was a little more complex than that for the basic PCB assembly. For most people to start out with the basic unit will fit their needs as people advance in their testing they might want to add-on more sensors or motor control and we "should" have this figured out by then.

Trust me . . . once you go digital I assure you, you will never look for water gages again!!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:34 am

49-1183904562

Postby cre » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:38 am

Hello did you planned to put in the DM a circuit to control the speed engines as imagined by Tony here
cre

Postby slracer » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:22 pm

Rick, I saw one of the electricians who was wiring my house do that to determine which cable went to which room for the TV. He connected the 9V to the cable in one room then "tested" each of the free ends in the primary connection area to determine which was "hot". Then he went to the next room and repeated it. Each time he "jumped". I thought that was what VOM's were used for! One of those old Greeks once said "Only a fool learns only from his own mistakes." I think I can let someone else make SOME for me! I'll start revitalizing my pitot bench so I can help if you need it. -- Doug
slracer

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:12 pm

CRE,

At this time we are not looking at doing motor speed control as the value is minimal in compairison to other features and the Basic setup does not allow for D-A output. I am not shutting the door on this but it is not in the recent future.

Maybe PTS-DM gen 2

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby Tony » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:01 am

Hey guys, let's be a bit more patient here.

What is coming is a truly GREAT addition to the PTS Flow Bench, and a giant leap forward for both the Forum, and people like myself that are still using water manometers.

Let's just get the basic digital manometer part working first, and the working hardware and software into people's hands.
Later, Rick can perform more software miracles to take us all further forward still.

Bruce and Rick have both put in a huge amount of time and effort into this, and it does take considerable time to develop a project like this and get it bug free and exactly right.

Bruce also needs to get back some of the considerable cash he has spent up front on parts for building and testing various prototypes. So far he is personally considerably out of pocket on this.

With sufficient firm orders, Bruce will need to outlay even more time and cash to get production rolling. If we all get behind this it can really be a good thing for all of us.

It is a huge undertaking for Bruce, so be patient.
When the dust settles a bit, we can then perhaps all discuss which direction to take for the next step forward.

But meanwhile, there is still a huge amount of work ahead just to consolidate where we are now. Exciting times.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby evil16v » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:26 pm

No issues here. I would love to just get my hands on the basic as i complete my bench. This will work out great. The closer to tax refund time the better.
evil16v

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:09 pm

[color=#000000]Testing..

OK,

Time to gloat a little, Here goes
49-1183904562

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench DAQ