[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - PTS DIY flow sensor

PTS DIY flow sensor

Any discussion pertaining to data acquisition for a flowbench application. Not limited to computer related projects, this is a catch-all for anything non-water gage?

This will keep items of like interest easy to find on the forum.

Postby Otto » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:44 am

OK Bruce wheres mine? :D :D :D
Otto

just another one man show
workin to play
Otto

Postby slracer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:17 pm

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at this entire thread and watching the subtle (and not so subtle) progression from a new "toy" to a really professional piece of equipment that anyone in the industry, as well as home shop owners, can afford and use. It is really quite impressive how it has developed and the end result is even more impressive. Hats off to a job well done Bruce, Rick, Tony and any others!

Tony, at one time we were discussing making it "portable" and battery powerable. You said there was a "power hungry big LED" as a problem. I don't see one on the final version, does that mean it could be powered by a "pair of 9V batteries in series"? Still looking at other uses (so Bruce can sell a couple thousand more). :laugh: I really would like to be able to get some airbox pressures on some of the vehicles I have been associated with and would also like to see some local pressures like the base of the windscreen. With a DS-148, I might even be able to run a series of centerline taps and check for a developing lift problem. Lots of uses for Bonneville racers. Rick, is there a clock function on the output? Bruce, what are the dimensions of the final box?

Another day of heavy thinking! :p -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:02 pm

Approximate case size is 8 x 5 x 1-3/4".

A lot of changes have been made since the beginning of this thread, we have all learned a lot along the way (well maybe I just learned from my "teachers" Rick & Tony?) This project evolved from as you said a "new toy" to something really professional but at a "new toy" cost to the end user.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:26 pm

This is a very impressive unit you guys! I love the external hook ups for the vacuum lines . With the Black Box I actually have to take the top off and feed the lines through the top and then plug them onto the pressure taps. I love this new DAQ's design.

What are the ports labeled D1 and D2? I missed that somewhere.

John
106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:37 pm

The DAQ card has 2 digital inputs that are software programmable so they can be used for a data capture switch or what ever else Rick can dream up to use them with in his software :)

I think one could also be hooked to the 4th channel for a swirl meter at a later date?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:48 pm

kind of exciting to see what is being done.

btw Not working today Bruce? I have an advantage. I am at work but always on the internet here :D

John
106-1194218389

Postby Tony » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby slracer » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Tony, Thanks for the reply. It is what I was hoping I would hear! My planning has centered on a "standalone" unit with the laptop operating from internal power and the DM powered by its own battery pack. I could put the whole thing in a box, mount the box in the vehicle and turn it on as we near the front of the line. From "ON" to "OFF" would be in the 10-20 minute range depending on vehicle speed and length of course. The digital inputs might even be useable for a suitable trigger such as using the lap counter from a MyChron type datalogger and setting the IR lights at each mile. This would allow me to correlate speed, location, and pressures. More work to do and more things to learn!

Bruce, I might even need more than 1! :D And now that I know D1 & D2 are digital inputs, what is the extra "port" on the rear of the case. I can see the serial connector, but don't recognize the other.

More and more exciting! -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby bruce » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:12 pm

The connections on the fitting end are P1 which is a 0-40" sensor, P2 is a 0-16" sensor but can be a 0-40" if need be, P3 is a 0-40" sensor, D1 & D2 are digital connections to the DAQ, another connection can be made to channel 4.

On the opposite end is the serial connection and the power connection to the 15v transformer.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby ccm399 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Looks really nice guys! Great team work!!!

Any word on a depression control to go with it?!?!?!?!? Too soon???
I thought I read a post that talked about such a thing but I'll be darned if I can find it now!

Chris Music
ccm399

Postby Tony » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby msj442 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:36 am

ok im going to go out on a limb here and ask.
i have been on this thread for a year now and still am trying to understand the manometer hookups. was just kinda waiting until i had everything else as far as bench construction memorized. so with that being said, is there any chance there will be hookup instructions or schematics involving the clippard valves and the pts plans with the digital mano? i know the requests keep coming and the wants keep coming but i just thought i would ask. if not i will continue to memorize more info via website.
thanks, max
msj442

Postby ccm399 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:04 am

ccm399

Postby bruce » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:18 am

bruce
Site Admin

Postby MMack » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:41 am

Any update on this project? I have been really looking forward to this launch. I have had some issues with my water gauges, and rather than figure them out, I was looking forward to getting this and just being good to go.
Let me know.

Mike
MMack

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench DAQ