[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Digihelic controller - might suit some ones motor control needs

Digihelic controller - might suit some ones motor control needs

Any discussion pertaining to data acquisition for a flowbench application. Not limited to computer related projects, this is a catch-all for anything non-water gage?

This will keep items of like interest easy to find on the forum.

Postby jsa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Tony,

Personally I'm not really chasing full automatic control, but more as you suggest automatic trim to maintain the pressure against fluctuations in voltage etc. as you mention, but also for steps in valve opening. With bench familiarity it will become obvious how many 100% motors need to be running with the variables.

I still consider universal vac motors in combination with a VFD experimental. I am thinking commutation would screw with the VFD diagnostics.

I've mentioned earlier using a pot controlled solid state relay to change vac motor speed. I'm presently checking out a couple low cost analog SSR options.

One option is a phase angle firing SSR with integral analog input claimed to be suitable for universal motors. These things come with 'headline ratings' up to 90Amps, and can be selected with one of 0-5V or 0-10v or 4-20ma input.

Another option is a $US60 card that screws on the input terminals of an instant switching SSR and operates them as phase control. The card is DIP switch settable for 0-5V, 0-10v, 4-20ma, 1-5v, 2-10v or potentiometer. There are myriad brands and sizes of the instant switching SSR's suitable for inductive loads. At around AU$70 for a 'headline 40A' SSR with heatsink, we have the power side control of about 25Amps conservatively worth of vac motors. These SSR's are availbe up to at least 150A headline, I'd only be guessing at prices for this rating.

I'm asking questions of the card manufacturer at the moment with the intention of getting one and trialling it as the most flexible option. The all in one SSR may work out the cheapest but also least flexible option.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:28 am

[color=#000000]John,

For simple discussion VFD do not like universal motors AT ALL, especially the constant torque type "Senseless Vector". I have tried this and :( . For a simple solution not sure about reaction timing Payne Engineering
49-1183904562

Postby Tony » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby jsa » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:14 pm

Gents,

400Hz induction motors are available, I haven't been able to lay my hands on the brochure I thought I had in my office.

I don't think replacing the universal motor on of a vacuum cleaner piece would be econimical.

If were not so far down the road of vaccum motors, I'd be looking at 400hz direct drive blowers as Tony suggests.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Did you ever sit in a plane listening to those 400hz motors run for a few hours?

I have :;):

My flowbench with a few motors running is a lot nicer than a screaming 400hz motor on a few hydraulic pumps and an inverter.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Just a quick look and not an extensive search turned up these motors:

Up to 12Kw and 18,000 rpm at 300 Hz

Yes Bruce, any very high rpm motor is going to howl a bit, it is not just the 400 Hz whistle, so much as the high rpm.
Even the hydraulic pumps in fork lifts that run on dc can kick up quite a respectable scream.
Tony

Postby bruce » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:42 pm

I still have the single blower project sitting here in the shop, someday I'll get back on it.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:00 am

49-1183904562

Postby Tony » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Tony

Postby jsa » Tue May 05, 2009 12:46 am

As mentioned earlier in this thread I've been working toward a solution for speed control of vac motors on my bench project.

This last week I have got my hands on an interface board and suitable solid state relays. Having rigged it up over the weekend it tested out OK for me.

The interface board comes from , and I chose 2 seconds soft start and the fast response options.

I bought Crydom D2450-10 solid state relays.

They were purchased through Fastron in Australia, along with heat sinks for the duty, but are readily available worldwide including some surplus joints.

Crydom also have a MCPC series part number that does not require the SSRMAN.

The MCPC is dearer than the D24 series and only has one input type as ordered. I liked the flexibility of the SSRMAN having nearly all of the typical input types on one module, its output voltage regulation and soft start capability.

I have tried a single SSRMAN driving four D2450-10 in series and 2 parallel pairs. In theory 2 parrallel sets of four in series should work.

I bought 4 SSR's so I could speed control all 12 motors in my bench if I wish. The SSRMAN and four D2450-10 SSR is cheaper than a MCPC setup of similar capacity.

Control ranged from 10VAC 1.2A with the motors just ticking over to 6.5A 229V flat out. Motors seemed happy but I haven't done any long term low speed running to check motor cooling at reduced speed. I doubt they will run that low in the completed bench due to the need to overcome pressure losses in the bench alone.

So for around $400AUD i can speed control about 80 amps worth of motors.

For 20 amps worth about $170AUD.

Be conservative with the load applied to the SSR / heat sink / ambient air combination and they are very reliable, get greedy and the smoke will come out.
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Tony » Tue May 05, 2009 1:42 am

Well done John !!!

The power module combines all of the required features.
It has an SCR output (not triac, as most of these modules are).
So it will work very well with a highly inductive load such as vacuum motors. It also solves all the mains isolation and safety issues.

Just make absolutely sure you are buying this exact module. IT IS VERY SPECIAL
Many very similar looking modules sold on e-bay and elsewhere are entirely unsuitable. So make absolutely sure what you are getting is the correct part number. This is EXTREMELY important.

The Nuwave controller looks to be ideal as well.

This module is only the size of a match box, but it will generate a ferocious amount of heat.
A very large and efficient heat sink will be required if it is run at it's full rated current.
Or as John says, you will let the fairly expensive smoke out.

Again, great effort John at tracking down these parts.
Tony

Postby jsa » Wed May 06, 2009 6:23 pm

[color=#000000]Any of the Crydom DXXXX-10 are suitable so long as the correct load current and voltage are selected for your motor load ambient conditions and supply voltage. I did find other brands had suitable modules but none were as readilly available.

Most SSR's are designed for resistive heating loads not inductive loads such as motors.

In industry for electric heating applicatoins nobody usually goes above 80% of the rated capacity. Many a switchboard fire has started from pushing SSR's too hard.

I have 20A per SSR. Rated capacity is about 30A at 50
Cheers

John
jsa

Postby Tony » Wed May 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Tony

Postby jsa » Thu May 07, 2009 2:19 am

Cheers

John
jsa

PreviousNext

Return to Flowbench DAQ