[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Feedback from members

Feedback from members

The old Wetflow forum was unrecoverable so I started a new one.

A place to talk about super secretive wet flow.

This is a closed forum only open to members, if you can read this then you are a member

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:11 am

Flash, Chris

Chris, liquid volume can be measured just like air with an orifice in a pipe and even pito tube.

Flash
If you use a simple GM distributor and take the condenser out so it is just a switch, you now have a switching mechanism. RPM will differ the frequency (how often the injector pulses), you can then use the point adjustment for Dwell (Points closed) to adjust fluid flow time. As Tom said this is not a true ratio but you should be able to find a sweet spot. To get your flow rate you use a graduated cylinder say 250ML and a stop watch, you then set your motor rpm and dwell, then with the power to the injector off and a clean graduated cylinder you turn on the power for say 30 seconds then off. You will have filled the cylinder a specific amount, then repeat this same test for multiple dwell and rpm setting building a chart that will then be converted to liquid mass for your pseudo air fuel ratio. Remember the liquid pressure at the injector is to be a constant or all this is for not.

You will then need to do similar testing on your flow bench where you know exactly how much air is moving through the bench at any given time (Easy if you are using the PTS-DM).

SO to perform your test as you want you would pick a given rpm air flow for testing say 5000rpm at 350cid CFM = (350 * (5000/2))/1728) or 503CFM now since you are only doing 1 port 503/8 = 63cfm +-. To reach the stoichiometric ratio you would then need the following.

1 cubic foot = 28,316.8467 cubic centimeters.
Dry air weighs 34,093.48 mg per cu.ft.
Or 34.1 grams Which is about 1.2 ounces per cu.ft.

If we keep this simple and just said you were using water as your fluid then we could take 63 cfm * 34grams = 2112 grams/min of air mass divided by the ratio 14.7:1 or 2112/14.7= 143.67 grams/min of water since on gram of water = 1 milliliter = 1CC for us Yanks that would be (1oz. = 29.57ml) so 143.67/29.57 = 4.86 Oz./min at 63cfm

Now if you have any electronic skills you could build a simple tool as Bruce pointed out in his link and it would be a lot simpler, also some manufactures made these tools I have one made By Carter Fuel system I got back when I worked for Federal Mogul. I will post a picture tonight to you can each for one.

Not sure what this all gets you but it is the basic concept you were talking about.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:38 pm

. . . so if the PTS DM knows how many CFM's are going through it . . . we can than output a digital signal to tell the injector controller how much fluid needs to be added . . .

::going back down to his shop now::
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 pm

And just who is we? and what outputted digital Signal and and and who i going to code all this....

Tony??? Help.

:laugh:

Edited By 1960FL on 1255637896
49-1183904562

Postby Flash » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Rick.
Thanks for the explanation. You, paint a vary good picture! :)

Look like things are getting real Interesting again..........

I have got the get some cash save up for the basic model

:;):
Gordon
Flash

Postby blaktopr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks guys with help for me.
The way I see it I can either spend some money on a speed control for the dist idea and some other odds and ends and just make up a chart based on dwell and RPM. Not too bad, just a couple hours of work.

Or I can spend the cash toward the controller.

Rick, the numbers are very helpfull. I will have to test how much is saturated in the port. I've noticed the light load tests barely changed the readings, dropping maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of depression while others have mentioned as much as 2" drop. So I would have to see if the numbers for CFM for motor divided by cylinders has a big difference to PORT CFM and A/F

I was thinking about the orifice in a tube thing to also measure flow rate and thinking if the DM can measure the velocity. I was thinking if I was not probimg the port, that I can somehow get a cross with speed FPS to flow amount.

Look at it this way. I establish the flow rates with a graduated cylinder and the distributor. I cross check it with the verticle scale reading on the DM. (speeds might be too slow though unless through a small tube) I then just look at the target FPS I am after for fuel rate as I increase or decrease the dist speed or dwell setting. But like I said before, if the amounts of liquid that may be used may be to small to produce any real variation of FPS speeds.

This brings me to my next thought. Rick, based on those numbers you showed me. Lets take 1000 cfm needed and I come up with 314 grams/min of water. Which is basically 314cc/min. (13.5 AF) I have to go back to see the diff with water to fuel cause I also plan on trying to get my hands on 16B fluid.
I'm just want to see how it relates to track usage.

314cc/min * 8cyl = 2512cc/min
418cc/10sec run (whole motor)
That would be 1/2 liter (about) consumed in 10 sec pass?
This is water usaage of course, not fuel.
Just thinking out loud.

Thanks again.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby blaktopr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:09 pm

Just a simple flowmeter would work fine too.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:39 pm

Thanks Alot Bruce!
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 200cfm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 pm

Trivia Question: In this example each cylinder is pumping 63 cfm. So why does each cylinder need a port that is capable of flowing say 250 plus cfm. :( I know it does, especially for any 10 second run, but my brain went blank trying to grasp this.
200cfm

Postby jfholm » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby blaktopr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:01 am

Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Guy's

Don't take what i am saying as fact it is my thoughts of how i might approach this problem if I were dealing with it. Chris whatever you do you need to do it in a scientific method that allows you to compare all the variables so you are not looking at Apples and grapes. It is my personal belief that wet flow is a great tool for visualization but that is it, trying to go to a level where anything outside of basic patterns is compared to Fuel is beyond my comprehension, that is unless we are wet flowing fuel in a concrete bunker in the desert wearing a oil rig fire fighters suit. :p

Rick

Edited By 1960FL on 1255729369
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 pm

Thanks Rick. But I want to step it up. And bring it back to you guys.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby 49-1183904562 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:09 pm

49-1183904562

PreviousNext

Return to Wetflow Discussion