[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - flow bench design

flow bench design

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby ocracing » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:32 pm

This will be the first attempt at building a flow bench. Over the years I have worked with SuperFlow 600 & FlowData benches, but never got into the design aspect.
I purchased the PTS plans and have also checked out Flow Performance plans and there seems to be difference in air box styles, the Flow Performance utilizes pvc pluming and PTS uses a baffle system.

What is the difference?

I'm no genius and I have alot more questions, but seeing that I'm a virgin I will start here.
ocracing

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:02 pm

[color=#000000]OC,

There are two basic flow bench measuring devices one is the orifice plate the second is the Pito tube. The PTS bench is a orifice plate design and once built can function with only one or two either DIY or PTS internal orifice plates at minimal cost. Where as the Pito tube requires different elements (Averaging Pito tubes in pvc element) to cover the same range of measurement. Second but possibly arguable the orifice bench is much easier to change flow direction. ( intake to exhaust). I would suggest you read the section flow bench 101 under the
49-1183904562

Postby Flash » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:41 pm

There is lot to learn, And, there is no better place to do it then here.
A grate bunch of guys here.

Do some pocking around here on different threads and you will answer a lot of you question...........that will create, more question, too search, and ask. :)

Welcome as well!
Gordon
Flash

Postby bruce » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:32 pm

$$$'s, price out all the parts and what you get for that price . . . try and build/buy a flowbench that can flow a true 450CFM@28" with digital gauges for less money :)

All the info in the plans can be found here on the forum for free, buying a set of plans just saves you all the time of finding and designing it.

Most people probably think that $50 is a high price (I know I would) for plans but once they actually see what they get and can build that price doesn't seem so bad . . .

Edited By bruce on 1257035815
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby blaktopr » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby gofaster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:43 pm

From my experience, proven plans would be a godsend. It sounds to me like Bruce's plans really work well, and would be a good place to start. I'm still thinking about using his plans and starting over, but I'm a little hard-headed and I'm still determined to make my original bench work.

My bench started out as an MSD type with a rotary orifice plate. I didn't like it and now it's been redesigned with a large stainless plate with multiple square-edged orifices, that can be reached through a Beckson plate, and a provision for interchanging Bruces sharp edged plates in one place. That started out as a second thought after the orifice plate was built. Then I raised the top to add a plenum and baffle...

Who knows whats next?...

In the meantime I get by with my little "Blue" bench, but the point is that if I would have started with proven plans there would not have been all of this time consuming and destructive redesigning. So you may want to spend a few days (weeks or months, there's a lot of info here!) going over the posts in this forum before you leap into an ill considered project. This wil surely save you a lot of grief.

Edited By gofaster on 1257120321
Jim
gofaster

Postby larrycavan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion