[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - ON BLOCK FLOW TESTING PROBLEM

ON BLOCK FLOW TESTING PROBLEM

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby RRBD » Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:35 am

Earlier tonite, myself and a friend were flow testing(sf600) a V-8 cylinder head on an old block that is all sealed up, pulling vacuum through a bung which is welded into the oil pan and noticed a difference (gain) of approx. 18 cfm from prior tests which were done on the bench it self. At first we thought we had a leak some where, but after double sealing every possible leak with duct tape the results were identical. Next we took the superflow calibration orifice and set it up on the bench, as well as set it up over a cylinder in the block and this test also confirmed the same, an 18 cfm gain on the block. Next we sealed the calibration orifice to the engine block end of the hose, (now just bench and hose being compared) and yet again same results.We are kinda baffled, a person would think that it would be just the oppisite, considering we are connecting the two through a four inch hose about 6ft long. Any thoughts from you guys???
Could it be due to the additional volume of the chamber(hose), or could we be experiencing laminar flow at 25" wc and around 240 cfm?? Thanks in advance.....RRBD
RRBD

Postby bruce » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:07 am

Now this is just a suqqestion and may not be your problem at all . . . . I think you have a leak somewhere in your connection? I know you said you double sealed eveything but how did you verify that your seal is not leaking? I use a wand connected to a vertical manometer (on my bench its a digital manometer, but you can use a vertical water manometer also) You probe all your connections and look for a change in the reading, if it changes you have a leak. I had a similar problem this past week with a block/head I was checking, it appeared to be sealed but my cfm's were higher than previous tests with no changes to the block/head. I probed the sealing and I had a small 2-3" water leak at one specific area where it was connecting with the flowbench. It was changing my cfm's about 10 cfm's.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby RRBD » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Bruce, I think you are probably right there is probably a leak somewhere and after sleeping on it, I think it is in the crappy dryer ducting flexable aluminum hose we were using. I am leaning toward the idea that the ducting is not vacuum tight an the whole thing is leaking all over. Do you have any Ideas for a reasonably priced hose in a 4" dia. that will work for intake and exhaust flowing, I am personally using a very stiff hose as used in the vacuum supply for a Komo cnc router, but it is made for pulling 29" of mercury and is very expensive and tough to work with. I wonder if regular flexible dust collection hose will work both ways?? Anyway, thankyou for your input.
RRBD

Postby RRBD » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Bruce, I think you are probably right there is probably a leak somewhere and after sleeping on it, I think it is in the crappy dryer ducting flexable aluminum hose we were using. I am leaning toward the idea that the ducting is not vacuum tight an the whole thing is leaking all over. Do you have any Ideas for a reasonably priced hose in a 4" dia. that will work for intake and exhaust flowing, I am personally using a very stiff hose as used in the vacuum supply for a Komo cnc router, but it is made for pulling 29" of mercury and is very expensive and tough to work with. I wonder if regular flexible dust collection hose will work both ways?? Anyway, thankyou for your input.
RRBD

Postby RRBD » Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:35 pm

Ok guys, new info: Cant be any leaks cause we checked by having valves all closed and watching for flow on the inclined manometer, didnt budge. Flexible dryer duct will work on the intake side but cant have any dings or bench will collapse it. All of this was done with a 303 cfm orifice at over 25" h20.Now I'm really stumped???
RRBD

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion