[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Mercdog flow bench help - Mercdog flow bench help

Mercdog flow bench help - Mercdog flow bench help

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby cboggs » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:36 pm

Hi Gang,

I'm building a flow bench based on the plans from Mercdog, ..

I've seen a few posts that hint at design problems with this bench, ..

Has anyone here built a bench from those plans???
And if so, .. can you share the things that need to be corrected???

Keep it simple, .. I'm not as smart as I look :p

I'm using Dywer Manometers, like a Superflow, .. Nice machined
orifice plate, .. The inclined has red fluid, .. as does the vert.

Does the orifice plate need a detent or "latch" to hold it in
each range, or will it stay OK?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:52 am

Curtis,You'd be better off having a pin or detent to stop the plate in exactly the same spot each time. You might find that the readings vary slightly as you move the orifice towards the edge of the cutout in the wood underneath it. It's all about repeatability and every little bit counts.
Greg

Postby raceman408 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:13 pm

cboggs, how long did it take to get your plans from mercdod
raceman408

Postby cboggs » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:02 pm

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:45 pm

Why buy plans when eveything you need is located here on the forum for free? Gee you even get tech support from all the users to help you out.

Need orifices . . . I make'em and they are not cut with a "hacksaw" :)
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby cboggs » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:10 pm

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby raceman408 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:29 pm

thanks for the info curtis, how about the dywer manometers could you give me the part no. and price for those. thanks for your help.
raceman408

Postby bruce » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:58 pm

I have not built an orifice style bench so I'll leave the design comments to others on the board more knowledgeable in that style of bench. My knowledge is in the pitot style of bench. I make the orifices simply to help out those who lack the machines to make them for themselves.

There is alot of engineering info on the forum on the orifice style of bench, if its not in the current files I know its in the old forums just go to google.com and type in a search like this:

"what you are looking for" site:tractorsport.com

it will give you a much better search of the old forums I had prior to this one. I did not remove the old posts from the website the forum was just hacked and unusable. The posts are still there though and the search will find the info for you.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby cboggs » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:23 pm

Bruce,

Can you be a little more "clear" on that search, .. remember, .. I'm not
as smart as I look.

I tried typing in just what you posted but Google didn't return anything.

Thanks,

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:46 pm

Ok here is a sample google.com search for orifice using just this site tractorsport.com:

By performing a search like this you can access all the old info that was "lost" in my prior forums that were corrupted by SPAM. I did not remove the posts from the website it was just the forum software that got corrupted. Its a halfassed way of finding the old info but it works quite well!!

Forgot to add, if you replace orifice in google with something else you can search for that also like pitot or manometer etc . . .

Edited By bruce on 1110563302
bruce
Site Admin

Postby fchp » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:24 am

I have not used any of the mercdog plans, but I did use some of the pics from that site for reference when I built mine. It looks like the Mercdog bench is just a copy of the MSD bench.

Either way... I did purchase the Excel software from Mercdog (just too lasy on my part to do the formula's).... and I have to say, I am VERY happy with the software they provide.
fchp

Postby larrycavan » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:32 pm

fhcp,

What does their software give you?

Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion