[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - My bench

My bench

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:44 pm

I had Bruce make me some orifice plates to replace the orifice disk in my msd/mercdog bench. I haven't been able to find any o-rings or flat rubber material to seal it to the bench. Any ideas on what to use? All of the o-rings I have found are either to big or to small. No one around here knows what flat rubber type material is. I am trying to make the orifice plates removable so I can switch them out when I need to change ranges.

I have most of the bench painted and it should help stop any leakage through the wood.

Thanks Bruce. I received the orifice plates yesterday. They look great.
Mousehouse1

Postby DaveW » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:31 pm

You can cut the o rings with a razor blade and glue them back together with super glue. Make sure the ends are square when you glue it back together. You will be amazed how well it holds.

Dave
DaveW

Postby Mouse » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:39 pm

You can get some good sections of rubber sheet from an truck tire sized inner tube.

McMaster Carr sells rubber sheet.

Orchard Supply sells Rubber sheet.
Mouse

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:20 pm

It has been a long time since I cut o-rings and glued them back together. I forgot about that.

I also didn't think about a truck inner tube.

That is why I posted this on the board. I knew I could get some ideas from you guys.

What is a good way of making a groove in wood for the o-rings to fit in? I was thinking about using a router but is there a better way?

Thanks.
Mousehouse1

Postby DaveW » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:09 pm

Depends where is going.

On a flat surface straight ,you could use a circular saw or table saw.

For something round a hole saw.

If your talking about the test hole area then you will have to hole saw a hole in a 2x6 first for a guide clamp it to the bench and go lightly.

I was at HD the other day and looking at routers. They may make a kit with a plung router that does circles. Good luck!

I think your better off using flat rubber if the hole is already in the bench

Dave
DaveW

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:40 pm

I found a couple of o-rings while I was at the hardware store this evening. I used a router and cut the slot for the o-ring to fit in. I will silicone the o-ring in place and that should do the trick.

I need to figure out how I want to hold the orifice plate against the o-ring. Once that is done I can put the bench back together and see if my changes fixed the leakage problem.
Mousehouse1

Postby gofaster » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:13 am

Maybe you could try to put some thread inserts around the orifice plate area, pulling them in from the back.

Then clamp some flat bar with springs and a bolt.

That way you could just flip the bars out of the way to change orifice plates.
Jim
gofaster

Postby hollywood63 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:16 pm

Mouse what size o-rings are you looking for? Where I work we have everything from 24mm all the way up 290mm. If I can help out let me know that goes for anyone else also
Art :)
hollywood63

Postby larrycavan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:31 pm

I've got a roll of rubber cord. Can't remember where I got it from. It's about 1/8" inch diameter. If you can find some of that, you can make any size you need.

Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:11 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby larrycavan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:14 pm

Tony,

Would they hold against 28" of exhaust depression?

Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby DaveW » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Larry, it depends what size magnet. Rare earth magnets and electromagnets are expensive. The problem with the magnet deal is if there is an air gap say 1/16 of an inch the magnet can loose as much as 80% of it's pulling power. I was going to do this to seal my plate and think it was much eaiser to just put a rubber plug in it and use a hand hole.

140 lb electromagnet a/c 150.00
100 lb rare earth 53.00

Dave
DaveW

Postby larrycavan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:08 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:22 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby bruce » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:39 pm

On the old forum I had one of the original members used refrigerator magnets to seal off the un-used vacuum motors on his bench. He just cut them oversized and placed them over the holes.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Next

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion