[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Orifice plate

Orifice plate

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Mousehouse1 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:11 am

If you were going to redesign the mercdog orifice plate what would you do? I am trying to find out what is wrong with my bench and the orifice plate might be part of my problem.

Give me some ideas.
Mousehouse1

Postby turbotuner » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:20 pm

On my bench I plan on having a deck-plate from marine store on the front of the bench and have multiple orifice plates instead of the disk. That way I can pop the deck plate open to reach in and swap out the plates. I'm not 100% sure on the final design, but I want to be able to clamp the plates down inbetween something like neoprene so that they seal really good. I also plan on putting in some alignment pins so that the orifice sits exactly the same everytime.
turbotuner

Postby Pesty » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:22 am

I am proposing that you could open the top cover of the flowbench where the multi orifice plate would be, and if you recessed this to suit a 6" x 1/4" disc that has the size orifice that you want to test. The disc has 4 countersunk screws and could be secured as Turbotuner has suggested with a neoprene gasket to the top face.

This would remove the need to make all the extra pieces for the orifice plate.

Does this make sense or has someone already tried this??
Innovation is only limited to one's vision
Pesty

Postby Unkl Ian » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:56 pm

What if you had one plate,with a series of holes,
like Superflow uses on the top of their 110.

Reach in through the access port,and remove the
necessary plugs to change the range.

OR...

modify a deck port,by boring a big hole in the middle,
then use it to sandwich a thin disc in place.
It's already threaded,with o-rings.
Then it's just a matter of changing discs.

So then the question becomes,how often
do you have to change orifice sizes ?

Just thinking out loud.
Unkl Ian

Postby larrycavan » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:15 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:59 pm

A SF 1200 cfm bench only used three orifices:
200, 400, 600. By combining the 600 orifice plus the 200 orifice you got 800 cfm. Same deal with the 400 orifice and the 600 orifice equaling 1000 cfm, etc. You wind up with 6 ranges.

On a bench I use at Ford, I had a 4th hole (which was a 100 cfm orifice) put into the SF plate. This allowed me to select flow in 100 cfm
increments, (from 100 cfm to 1300 cfm).

You can do the same with a smaller capacity bench by a 50, 100, 200, 300 cfm orifice hole combination. This would allow even finer settings (50 cfm changes) up to 650 cfm. A
8 motor bench using the 115923 Ametek motors
will flow that much cfm.

I use a 24" by 24" fixed orifice plate so there is a lot of room between each orifice therefore minimal cross talk to affect cd numbers.

Food for thought.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion