[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Need good motors..

Need good motors..

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby cspeier » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:25 pm

What type of motor would you put in a orifice style bench. Also, were can I get them? Thanks Guys..

Chad
cspeier

Postby bruce » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm

There have been some lengthy discussions in the past on blowers/motors. Do a search and look through the old posts you will find all the info you seek.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 74-1110321409 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:10 pm

WWW.surpluscenter.com part# 16-1234
74-1110321409

Postby cspeier » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:42 pm

oops.. I did a search, but I didn't click, "from the beginning" sorry Bruce, won't happen again.. Sometimes I'm a 38 year old with a 15 year old mind! Well, that's always!

Chad
cspeier

Postby bruce » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:09 am

Don't feel to bad, I own the forum and still forget to click "from the beginning" :D
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Mouse » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:46 am

Wait till you hit 40......now...what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, those motors from Surplus center are a great deal for the price. I am getting 360 cfm @ 28" with 4 of the 110 volt motors through a Flow Performance FE2.0m flow element. I am building my new "Macro Bench" using those motors, with automatic test pressure control. Will be doing an article on it soon.

John
Mouse

Postby 84-1074663779 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Don't overlook the possibility of using a single large blower.

An old centrifugal supercharger, or industrial blower may give much better performance than a bunch of vacuum cleaner motors.
84-1074663779

Postby cspeier » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:45 pm

Were would a guy look. Give me an idea of what would work best and I'll do some research. THANKS

Also.. Anyone looking for a Dwyer 36" manometer? I have two for sale. I also have a billet 28" manometer scale. It's the one on Mercdog.com site. All this stuff is like new. I have "other" plans. Email or PM.

Chad
cspeier@media-net.net
cspeier

Postby larrycavan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:51 pm

With so many people moving to digital setups and away from water guages, I would like to know how well the digital units correspond with the water manometers.

Who's converted to digital and compared results to the readings they got with water manometers? Or, who has parallel connected their water and digital setups to see if they read differently?

Also, when turbulence comes into play, how do the digital units act? A water guage will flutter. Do the digital units flutter between readings as well or do they display an average, or fix on the highest or lowest pressure of the moment?

Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:38 pm

When I was testing the digital setup (Flow Performance) I have, my water manometers were tapped in with the digital setup. Readings were dead on! This was on a prototype Flow Performance (FP) digital setup. I am now using the new style FP production unit and I am more impressed with its quality. I still have a vertical manometer setup inline for quick visual static reading to get it close when making lift changes and then I refer to the digital readout to tweak my static pressure in for my testing. Most times I only use this when initially starting a flow test. The FP unit has a setting so it will not data log flow readings till a set static pressure is acheived, this is user programable. I set mine for 28" +/- .5" so it won't log a reading till its within 27.5" to 28.5" range by doing this I know my testing is always the same. I want to know what my flow is at a given flow depression not a conversion.

I've never had the opportunity to use any other flowbench be it a Superflow or any other setup other than the homemade one I use now. So I am only speaking from a "home user's" point of view. I have had some of my orifice plates which I make and test on my digital setup flow tested on "other" flowbench manufacturers and my readings are right on with thiers.

Sorry for highjacking the motor question, I'm with Tony on the one blower setup I hate those screaming vacuum motors. I hope to have my regenerative blower setup running soon and I will give some feedback on what I find out. The "screaming vac motors" are easier to come by and fit well into homebuilt uints though. But they spin that BIG OLE electric meter too!!
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:53 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:56 pm

Yes the difference can be dialed in to .01. The digital is more sensitive than the water manometer so I have found .5 suits my needs for my datalogging. My static isn't fluctuating its just a range that I gather my data in, the CFM's are converted on the fly to what ever static pressure you want. I convert to 28" and I test at this depression I feel a .5" difference is not a problem. A water manometer will not sense the static pressure changes as quick as the digital meters does. Don't get me wrong this is not a problem by anymeans.

My water gage is just used for quick visual reference and then I defer to the FP. Mostly this was used when I had it hooked to the old Black and White Casio handheld unit I was using, now that its hooked to my laptop I find I don't use the water gage anymore since the display is easier to read. My lighting in my shop had a big effect on this problem it was not a problem with the FP/Casio setup. The FP1 covers both static and velocity, and can be used for velocity probing a port. I don't use it this way though, I have a seperate meter for that. You can't use the velocity probe and read CFM's at the same time and I prefer to do my testing this way. Might be a future upgrade for the FP maybe? I know I've already asked Mouse for that upgrade.

Its not so much a time savings as it is more data gathering. I don't have to look at a meter and try to figureout what the reading is and then convert it from water to cfm's in my Excel spreadsheet I was using. The FP setup does this for me on the fly. All you have to do is input the temp and Baro and it does the rest. It will collect all the data I want and I can review it later, save it to disk and I can then use it in Excel or Word and edit my data. I have the beta Excel Flowcom software I am using now which allows the data to go into Excel. I need to make a spreadsheet to use this data using Macros. I do write down numbers for quick reference though. For right now this works best for what I am testing and also datalogging file saving. Don't want to get to organized . . . LOL

I'm going to try and get some new pics up on my website of the laptop in use. I'm working on a new larger flowbench specifically for the new FP with the laptop I am using. Its kinda retro-fit to my old bench which has been used for alot of protyping of different flowbench ideas over the past few years.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 am

I currently use a SF-110. For the first couple years, I ran it manually, recorded the readings, and spent the rest of the day with a calculator trying to make sense of my tests.
A few years ago I added the SF Flowcom and motor controller, and the performance Trends Port Flow Analyzer. I installed the flowcom in parallel with the manometers so I could visually asure myself that I was in the correct test range, and to compare to what I was seeing on the Performance Trends readouts. PT told me I could disconnect the manometers, but I just need to see things move. I'm afraid I'm an old man from the old school, and I like to see cause and effect.
Anyway, the software is in total agreement with the results I was getting manually, but in a fraction of the time. Using the flowcom and motor controller, I could open the flow control valve all the way, and the electronics would adjust the motor speed to keep my selected depression right where I wanted it at all valve lifts. It took the work out of flow testing and made it a lot more fun.
As for motors, I found these on ebay. I bought some, and they are nice 2 stage Ameteks. About twice as thick as the single stage motors in my SF-110. Here's the link:

I think I might be interested in those manometers, PM me.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Mouse » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:26 pm

Mouse

Postby Shawn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:15 pm

hey mouse,
are these the motors you put in yours?

thanks,
shawn
Shawn

Next

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion