[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Super Flow Tech class at Novi, Michigan - Super Flow operation and engine design

Super Flow Tech class at Novi, Michigan - Super Flow operation and engine design

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:35 pm

I was told by Harold Betties (Super Flow Corporation) that he will be giving a class on flow benches and engine design next week (Tuesday)
at Novi, Michigan for anyone with a spare 400 bucks for the day's class.

Will be basic flow bench design and then a lot on what to do with the data you collect.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby gofaster » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:28 pm

I registered last week, and got $25.00 off because I'm a current SuperFlow Bench owner/user.
I'm looking forward to it, I've never met Harold Bettes in person, but have his cd.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Unkl Ian » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:52 pm

Let us know how it turns out,and what you learned.
Unkl Ian

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:38 pm

I am not attending the class as Harold says I really would not get as much benefit as others and the class size is very limited. I will talk to him personally during the tech show that is going on the same week.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby DaveMcLain » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:15 pm

Harold is a good guy who will go out of his way to help you understand if you have a question about airflow or dyno testing. I've talked to him face to face numerous times at the AETC and at the PRI show. I wish I had some extra time to take off and go to one of his seminars because I'm sure it'll be first rate.

Another interesting guy to talk to from Superflow is Neil Williams the guy who started the company and who designed all their early test equipment like the Superflow 110. He's one of those guys who you can tell is very smart as soon as you talk with him. We had a great discussion about using the 110 flowbench at the PRI show last year.
DaveMcLain

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:16 pm

I went to see Harold Betties on Thursday and we had a nice chat.

He showed me the latest SF1020 Super Bench. this specific bench uses
the 32 bit electronics package vs the old flow com basic computer. It inputs to the WINDYN graphics package (same as used on their dyno packages. The bench also had a much more friendly interface package for the user. They have built 3 of these new style benches so far.

It was a nice bench! I have seen forum benches that looked as good though and I think the software from Mouse and the display mods by Larry are sharper looking and provide more info. Good job guys!

JMO!

The SF1020 bench would use 12 motors. The 600 uses the 8 motor package and the 1200 bench I use uses 16 motors so the 1020 bench
fits right in the middle of the two with the capacity calculations.

Harold did mention one thing to me that I was always thinking about at work. The benches at work use 208 single phase power. Harold says the bench will be accurate but the bench will not pull the full cfm with less voltage. You will not get a full 600 cfm capacity on 208 power, maybe 80% so only 480 cfm out of the bench. Something to thing about.

The last thing he said was that if you run the bench on 220 volt SERIES wiring to the motors (Red wire, motor, motor, black wire) vs the 4 wire
PARALLEL wiring (like house wiring) (Red wire, motor, white wire, motor, black wire) you WILL burn up the second motor in the leg if the first motor fails. Food for thought.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby gofaster » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:26 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the SuperFlow U presentation. The flowbench discussion was mostly review for me, but it was good to shake out some cobwebs.
Since my only prior experience with Dyno's had been on DynoJets, the Superflow dyno discussion was very enlightening. Unfortunately, there was no test equipment at the seminar. The equipment was to be displayed the next day at the show. I couldn't stay out of town the extra day so it was my loss there.
There were only six of us in attendance, and it was an interesting mix. One man teaches Boost Technology at a University, one fellow is in charge of valve train development at Hyundai, one guy does automotive heads, and three of us work on Harleys. Between us we represented users of two SF-600's, and four SF-110's. I didn't feel it was appropriate to mention my current flowbench project at this venue.
Harold Bettes proved to be a very interesting host!
Jim
gofaster

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:56 pm

Remember who the boost guy was at the university?

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby gofaster » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:54 am

I can't remember his name, or the school. Harold could tell you. We all should have exchanged business cards for future networking, but I guess it never occurred to any of us at the time.
Jim
gofaster

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion