[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Side doors on a msd/mercdog bench

Side doors on a msd/mercdog bench

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:40 am

What is a better design then what I currently have? I noticed while I was repairing the back panel on my bench that I have a pretty good size gap between the top of the metal door and the bench. I can straighten the metal door a little and close the gap but it won't be air tight. There has to be a better way of doing the same thing.

Any ideas?
Mousehouse1

Postby Unkl Ian » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:33 pm

Anything that slides easily is going to be a problem.

I'm considering threaded inserts in the side of the cabinet,
and the door would be held in place with a few thumbscrews.
A rubber gasket will guarantee the seal.Only need one door,just move it from side to side.

Not quite as slick as a sliding door,but it won't leak.
Unkl Ian

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:46 pm

I apologize for not getting to the "Port Hole" store.

Maybe I can get over there today and get the company name for the product and post the web site.

Tom v.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:34 pm

The two suppliers I normally use for Deck Plates for Port Holes in flow benches are Beckson and Sun Dog. See some links below:

Thomas Vaught

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:50 pm

Do the side doors need to be as big as they are in the mercdog benches? If not, what is the smallest size I can use?

Do you have any pictures of these installed on a bench you built?
Mousehouse1

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:53 pm

Thanks for the links. I was reading through a few of them and they said they also come in clear. That would be useful to tell you which if any motors are spinning when they aren't on.
Mousehouse1

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:12 pm

Mousehouse1,

I agree! I typically do not have my port holes in the Mercdog/ MSD location so when I am running in a "suck" mode I remove the covers and can see the motors just fine without having the twice as expensive clear covers.

I use my covers to control "two motor stages"
for flow capacity. Open the cover, turn on the motors and it vents out the cover. Close the cover, and the motor section is sealed, no motors turning backwards.

There are other ways to do this but the covers have worked for me.

Glad you liked the links.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby larrycavan » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:05 pm

Tom

Are you using the spin out or pry out type?

Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby gofaster » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:53 am

Tom,
Thank-you for posting the links. That is a great way to create sealable access or venting for various parts of the bench. Brilliant in it's simplicity!
Jim
gofaster

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:49 pm

Tom what is the biggest cover you can buy? I am thinking about replacing my side doors with one of the ones you listed and would like to get an 8" opening if possible. I will probably use the screw on type just to make sure everything stays sealed.
Mousehouse1

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:36 pm

I am pretty sure that you can get a 8" screw out piece but even if you could not you could add a plate over the current opening and use a 6" opening for the port.

I use the screw out pieces that have the built in "O-Ring" in the cover.

If you do a search on Marine deck plates you may find many more suppliers. I was on a web site yesterday where I saw 8 or 10 listed.

The covers are nice and now that they have the clear ones looking into my bench to see what stoppers and orifices are open might be more convenient vs removing the cover. CRS you know! LOL!

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:38 pm

Does it matter how big the side openings are for air flow purposes? If it doesn't matter I will order the 6" ports.

Thanks Tom. I found a few others on the net. I was trying to find a way to correct my leakage problem and this should solve the problem. Thanks again. Now I can worry about other things.
Mousehouse1

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:05 pm

I have used a 6 inch port on a 1200 cfm bench
without any issues with intake or exhaust flow.

SF 300 and 600 benchs have a smaller opening in their rotating hole (<6" diameter) for the intake and exhaust air to get out of the bench.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mousehouse1 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:38 am

Mousehouse1

Postby gofaster » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:13 pm

Jim
gofaster

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion