[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - first run of the bench - first run

first run of the bench - first run

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:39 pm

I used partical board and I have 10 motors attached to mine. I haven't had any problems yet. Mine is also screwed in from every side. I guess we will see if it holds up.
Mousehouse1

Postby cboggs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:19 am

Larry,

I thought about trying a "filter" on the pick ups, .. I'll try that tomorrow.
Will the "filters" effect readings in any way?

The silicone seal idea is awesome, .. I was thinking of using a ring of
delrin plastic that would flex enough to seal but still be strong enough
to last for many uses.

and moving the exhaust door to the inside of the cabinet is also a good idea, ..
use the pressure to seal it, ..

Wow, .. you're full of good ideas. ;-)

As for a calm area in the chamber, .. I haven't tried putting the pick ups
all the way in a far corner but may, .. would that work OK ?

All the testing so far has been at 28" with a 6" DP across the orifice plate.

I'm not so sure about the chamber size, .. that my be an issue but the
big blue benches don't have this problem and have a smaller plenum
then I do. ?

Rick, I have the particle board divider sandwiched with a sheet of plywood now,
along with braces on each side, .. it ain't moving.

Thanks for the help guys.
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Mouse » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:34 pm

Curtis,

You may have resonance in your chamber, not a good thing. Flexing panels may also be contributing to the problem. Do you have the bouncing manometer at different test pressures or just one?

The turbulence in your chamber may not be as bad as your manometer is indicating. Mechanical manometers can swing quite a bit from momentum of the liquid column triggered by just very small pressure pulses.

Your pressure ports should be just a very small pin hole. Several pin holes around a tube is also good.

You may want to try your electronics at this point. The digital stuff is pretty good in dynamic environments and can usually dismiss a lot of turbulence in your chambers in several ways (but don't T both mechanical and digital manometers together).

John
Mouse

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:47 pm

Small peices of cotton ball in your tubing will dampen pulses in water manometers.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby cboggs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:15 pm

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:37 pm

A good friend of mine had to "dampen" the pulsing on his bench.
I believe he used a device like Bruce is recommending. I personally have made some dampers by putting cotton in 35mm film cans with nipples on each end. The film cans are superglued together. So far so good as far as keeping the liquid out of them but a different friend filled one with manometer fluid one time. LOL! An "accumulator" without the cotton might do the same thing and would act as both a damper and a "fluid trap" (which could be drained and the fluid reused).

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mouse » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:21 pm

You can also run it through a few inches of 1/16" brass tubing from your hobby shop or some hardware stores (ask for K&S metal). Buy the next few larger size tubing to build up the ends to recieve your plastic tubing.

Oh, and secure your tubing inside the chambers. Any tubing thrashing around inside the box can cause some bounce in your meter.

John
Mouse

Postby larrycavan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:26 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby maxracesoftware » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:08 pm

maxracesoftware

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:25 pm

When you cut this panel out did you use a circular saw or table saw? It looks like the crack started at the 45 and went towards the rear of the bench. What size holes did you use for you motor inlets?
Mousehouse1

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:37 pm

Larry, can you forward the 1020 pics to me at work? I think you still have my e-mail info for there.

Thanks

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby cboggs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:48 pm

Larry,

Yea, .. OUCH, .. but it's fixed and working fine now.

The panel was made on a table saw, .. what happened was the panel
only had support blocks on one side, .. the other side from this photo.
It pulled away from the blocks and pulled the screws out and moved towards
the side the photo was taken from, .. then cracked.

It's a little hard to explain but basically the panel came loose from it's mounts
THEN broke, .. the inlet holes are 2.5"

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby cboggs » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:39 am

Hi Gang,

been REALLY busy at work, .. plus sold my house, .. bought another house, ..
, .. buying a 5 axis CnC and learning the software, .. it's been busy.

Anyhow, to catch up on the flowbench, .. it runs great, .. doesn't
explode or implode, .. will flow 740 cfm on the highest range, ..
will pull 42" on a 430cfm head ( the biggest I've flowed so far )

The PT software and block box work like a dream. I've used PT software
for some time cause of all the features, graphs and most important, the
record keeping.

I have to check my calibrations against some other SF benches, .. I've checked it
against my SF-110 and a SF-300 , just need a few more.

I still have to fix the door for the exhaust pressure side of the lower chamber.
When flowing exhaust at 36" it wants to blow the door off, and it leaks.
I'm hoping the good old Port hole trick will hold at those pressures.

I'll post more over the next few days when I get more, ..

Flowed a W8 mopar ex pro stock truck head on it today, .. ported by Carl Fultz, ..
the bench showed some cool things at higher test pressures.
Like why Carl ( and I ) like a long sweeping short turn radius for engines that
operate over 6000 rpm, .. it was smooth a silk.

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:20 pm

Great effort.

Glad it is working out for you.

Pics, more pics!

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby 86rocco » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:19 pm

86rocco