[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - first run of the bench - first run

first run of the bench - first run

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:50 pm

I do not have a camera or the skills to post, :>(

Tom V.

Here is a link to the Ford "High Dollar" Bench

The company that made it uses our flow lab in their advertising

Once you are there click on Products, the Automotive, then Intake and exhaust manifold/ cylinder head and you should see the bench
Thomas Vaught

Postby 86rocco » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:18 pm

86rocco

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:22 pm

Did you see the Ford Bench, Ed?

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby 86rocco » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:30 pm

I do now.
86rocco

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:55 pm

We use a LARGE Turbine for a flow source, the bench can read a tenth of a cfm easily on the lowest range which is 3.4 cfm. The next range is 14 cfm.

We have 6 ranges and can do combinations of ranges. All computer controlled.

The bench is a Venturi bench.

The structure at the left of the pic is the automated valve opening fixture
(we can use up to 4 motorized independent drivers for valve opening). We
test a lot of 4 valve heads.

Hope this helps.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby cboggs » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:33 pm

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:52 pm

That is a NICE looking bench!

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Nick » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:05 am

Tom,

That thing looks a little over kill to me. What can in pull for depression? It is impressive to look at! Ford has a three million dollar flow bench and my F-150 4.9 6 still is a big fat dog!! Perhaps they should invest in better castings?

Anyways, I have been reading up on fluid mechanics, and was wondering if anyone has read a good book on the subject.

And Tom about the picture deal, you can get a cheap camera for 30 bucks that will take an OK picture to post on the net. Big clear high res pics are useless for what were doing, so go get one already!!! If your using xp all you have to do is plug the thing in the usb port and xp will do the rest!

Nick
Nick

Postby cboggs » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:36 am

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Mouse » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:29 pm

That looks exactly like the bench I'm currently building!!! WTF!!!
Mouse

Postby Mouse » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:18 pm

I knew it!!!! I applied a special image xray enhancement program to the cabinet and look what I found!!!
Mouse

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:46 pm

Nick, we have not built a 4.9L engine in MANY years, why are you driving that OLD TRUCK?????

As far as the flow depression goes, at the max cfm of the bench which is around 700 cfm we can pull over 67 inches of water. At the lower flowing ranges we can easily pull over 100 inches of water.

The basic flow capability is not what cost the money, it was the ability to set up a head and then push a button and have the unit profile the head at every valve, every combination of intake and exhaust valve setting per .001 inch, and with the ability to store all of that data into a data mining program that you can access from anywhere in the Ford system.

Tom V.

ps Mouse, now I know why we have so few crashes on our system!!!
Thomas Vaught

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:11 am

The more I look at the Ford bench, or is it flow area, the more I think I need one! That is way cool! Thanks for sharing.

As for the truck, shes got 150,000 miles on her and going strong, well, until I try to pull the car trailer up a hill, then it's 3 gear pinned!!!!!! go baby go!!!!! Maybe It just needs some porting, yeah that's the ticket! A friend of mine ran his 4.9 to 250k. For what I'm spending chasing air flow I could have a new truck!

Nick
Nick

Postby larrycavan » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:46 am

Tom,

That's one impressive piece of equipment. For all the $$$$ spent, what exactly have the returns been in terms of technological advances with that system?

LarryC
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:42 pm

We can do a whole lot better mapping of camshaft events vs valve position for working with dual independent or dual equal camshaft profiles using hydraulics to move the camshaft phasing.

There is a sweet spot for event timing vs engine load/rpm and with the proper mapping of the events on a head we can get better F.E. and power.

The 4.9L engine was for many years the lowest warranty engine we built.

I have looked at the basic Ford bench design many times thinking I would try and create one in my garage (by putting it on an empty wall). I keep coming back to the large plenum/ orifice plate deal for simplicity.
You would still have to have a large vacuum motor box or a Vortron
unit like the one I posted the link on to provide the vacuum/pressure.
Maybe if I hit the lottery and build my "dream garage"

Tom V.

I would not have to hit much of a lottery to be able to buy a SF 1020 bench though.
Thomas Vaught

Previous

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion