[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - fixture mounting disk info needed

fixture mounting disk info needed

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:55 pm

I am almost done with my first flowbench...a mercdog clone. Of course I didn't find this site until I had the thing mostly built. I will probably finish it as is and then look as some of the mods posted on this forum. At this point I need to wire the motors. build the vertical and incline manometers and run the tubing and hoses.

What I am curious on is what have people found to work for the 5" fixture mounting disk on the top of the flowbench to mount the different fixtures to? Mercdog sells a machined one for $125 but I am trying to go budget.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
bseibenick

Postby Mousehouse1 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:01 pm

I bought the one mercdog sells. It is a nice piece but you can accomplish the same thing with 4 bolts sticking out of the top of your bench. You just need something that will hold a fixture tight against your bench top. You can make a metal ring that is coutersunk into your bench or make one out of aluminum.

Some have made their tops out of metal or aluminum and attached bolts to them to hold down their fixtures.

Did you make the bench like the plans say to? I also have a mercdog style bench. I had to replace the orifice disk with my own design because I couldn't get the mercdog one to seal properly.

If you ever want to change or improve your bench this is the site to look at for your modifications.

Have you thought about going with the FP1 digital box instead of manometers? Several members on here including myself are using one. I built manometers and then decided to go digital. Much easier and all of your information is on your computer or a print out.
Mousehouse1

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:13 pm

My ultimate goal is to have a totally automated flow test that is run by my computer. I have already started designing a circuit to control the motor speed by the computer and I already have an idea of motorized valve opener with feedback to the computer. The only component I have been having problems with is coming up with digital manometers. It may end up being easier to just use the FP1 instead of designing one but I need to find out if there is a way to make my own program read the FP1 directly that way I can have my software adjust the depression as needed, make a measurement and then go to the next valve lift.

In case you were wondering I am a computer programmer with and electrical enginerring degree who drag races...an interesting combination, eh?

Thanks,
Brian
bseibenick

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:18 pm

I also machined my own orifice disk on my bridgeport mill using a rotary table to cut out the disks and a boring head to bore the holes.

When I get everything running I will let you know if I have leakage issues with the disks...

Brian
bseibenick

Postby Mousehouse1 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:33 am

Post or send me a few pictures. I would like to see what it looks like.

Interesting combination and likes drag racing?
Mousehouse1

Postby bseibenick » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:12 pm

I will post pictures this weekend. I just finished modifying the back panel so it is held on with 1/4" bolts and I will make a 'gasket' to seal. That way I can easily remove it to access the motors, etc as needed.

Brian
bseibenick

Postby Jesse Lackman » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:56 pm

If anyone is interested Bruce might set up to do a few of the Mercdog test fixture mounting rings.

I need one 1/4 inch deeper than the MercDog one.

Get a hold of Bruce if you are interested.
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:30 am

Ok, I know I am a little late getting these up.
Here are a couple pictures of my MSD style flowbench. I am currently waiting on aluminum to make the front plate, 3 more motors from surpluscenter, 2 deckplates to replace the sheetmetal side doors and the FP1 I just ordered from John.
bseibenick

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:31 am

#2...
bseibenick

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:32 am

#3...
bseibenick

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:33 am

#4...
bseibenick

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:34 am

#5...

I have more and will probably post them all to my website when I get the bench up and running so I don't kill the forum with pictures.

Brian
bseibenick

Postby bseibenick » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:36 am

Doh...added the wrong picture
bseibenick

Postby Mousehouse1 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:04 pm

Your bench is looking good. I would also suggest painting it inside and out. You would be surprised how much air will go through wood. I didn't until I saw one of the members do a test that proved it does. I hope your orifice disk works better then mine did. I had a terrible time trying to find the problem with my bench at the disk was the main problem.

Glad to see you are going with the deck plates instead of the metal side doors. That was another leak that I couldn't get stopped until I switched to deck plates.

I would add a top chamber to your bench instead of the top panel you have now or put in some sort of baffle so the air flow won't hit the head directly. Larry helped me design one for my bench.

Let us know when you get it running. I am curious how much if any leakage you will have. That is one thing I like about the FP1 you can tell exactly how much leakage you have. I just wish it would tell you where the leaks were. :D

Did you use silicone and a rubber gasket to seal your bowls or just silicone and let it dry? I thought about adding a piece of rubber material under my valve bowls to make sure they seal properly.

You will find out like most of us. Once you start this project you will never stop making changes to it. Even if they are only little ones. I have several things I would change if I ever build another one.

What cfm range are you trying to reach? Mine will go a little over 600 and probably higher. I just don't have any way of testing it to see if it will go higher.
Mousehouse1

Postby Mousehouse1 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:09 pm

Before I forget. Do you have a handle for your orifice disk yet? If not, I bought one and I will sell it cheap. PM me if you are interested.
Mousehouse1

Next

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion