[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Intresting orifice plate research papers

Intresting orifice plate research papers

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby stef-1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I thought I'd share these papers with you guys. I found these useful.

SAE 670067 - Mark II - 427 GT Engine Induction System
Has details of the early Ford flow testing setup.

SAE 720214 - Design Refinement of Induction and Exhaust Systems Using Steady-State Flow Bench Techniques
Paper describing the AMC flow testing setup and calculating port flow coefficient.

The Flow of Air Through Circular Orifices In Thin Plates
Useful info on discharge coefficients etc. with respect to having the orifice in a wooden box (Durley box).

The Flow of Air Through Circular Orifices With Rounded Approach
Discharge coefficients of orifices with rounded entrys.
stef-1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 pm

I have actually used the Ford Flow bench in paper
SAE 670067 - Mark II - 427 GT Engine Induction System
Has details of the early Ford flow testing setup.

The vacuum source used a very high capacity vane type blower with a "water seal" system to eliminate air leakage. The orifices were installed inside a separate drum with a Submarine type hatch arrangement where you opened the "hatch", removed or added rubber stoppers to expose the orifices you wanted to use, and then sealed the hatch again. The drum wall thickness was 1/2" thick steel. The bench could pull 67" of h2o or 5" of mercury test pressure easily. The bench was housed inside a "Pressure Room" with controlled test parameters for consistant testing

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby msj442 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:28 am

kinda weird that ford had such crappy heads especially exhaust ports if they had such a nice flowbench. the windsor style heads werent bad though. lol

just tying to be funny not offend anybody.

max
msj442

Postby jfholm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:05 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby larrycavan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I guess that compared to today's cylinder heads they were not that great. You think the bore centers and the valve size might have had something to do with that deal? Ford had a 4.63" bore spacing.

That being said, yep, those crappy heads only won LeMans
twice with the GT-40 cars, Powered the fastest street car in the world at the time (the 427 Ford Cobra) and, kicked butt in many racing venues.

The bench in the SAE paper is not the 3 million dollar flow bench that certified the flow bench testing for this forum.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:01 am

Well i new i was right somewhere I still have 2 427 side oiler blocks and cranks and high riser heads laying around and a bunch of 390 gt stuff..... I love anything with a full skirted block, if it was not for Ford and there investment in the 239 Y lock there would be no SB Chevy..

My 352 stroker Y Block in a 56 2dr hrdtp Customliner with 2 X 4brl and a top loader is a blast to f with those tuners...

Ok i am dating my self.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby msj442 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:21 am

guess i didnt look at the specs on what ford won in the past. was just basing my opinion on what ive ported in the past.

sorry guys!!!

:D max
msj442

Postby slracer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Rick, Is the 239 Y block the engine in a '54? My brother gave me his '54 Sunliner convertible for my first car. When I could keep it running, it was a lot of fun! I put 3000 miles on it the first summer I owned it and never left the city limits in a small town. Summer nights in Kansas were made for convertibles! :D -- Doug

PS - Don't I wish I had it back! And I don't care if I am dating myself. At least I have a date! :p
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:08 pm

[color=#000000]Doug,

Yup 239 in 54 was the first OHV Ford motor then 262 272 292 & 312. The motor I have going in my 56 is a marine 292 at .150 over with a 312 crank giving me 352 cubes. I forget his name at this time but the gentleman who developed this motor wanted to start at 292 CID and Ford said no they could see no need for that big a motor. He left to go to a competitor to work on there OHV program the following year they came out with the 265 then 283 etc etc
49-1183904562

Postby jfholm » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:26 pm

It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion