[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - After All These Years

After All These Years

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby larrycavan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:13 pm

Yesterday I went to visit a friend with a Superflow 110. I took along 3 different calibration plates to test on his bench.

We left the test stand in place because this was a comparison test and not a calibration test.

All 3 plates were tested at 10" on his superflow. Today I flow tested the same 3 plats on my bench with my test stand [sam bore id but mine is a little taller].

I'm delighted to say that I stood there with a big grin as each plate tested to within 1 CFM. Freaking Amazing!

My test stand is pictured here. 4" with 3" reducer plate.

I have the FP1 digital setup and my bench is calibrated at 28" with one of Bruces plates.

My bench is also a modified MSD design with the improvements we developed on his forum.

Just thought that little bit of information would encourage some of the new guys to keep moving forward with their projects..... :DImage

Edited By larrycavan on 1219965406
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:01 am

I would like to add a little something here about repeatability with one of these orifice benches. It has been at least 60 - 90 days since I have touched my bench. My cousin wants me to check his Brodix heads that his son is porting. I went into my shop and looked at the poor old bench and noticed that half the water was gone from my inclined and verticle manometers. I also have my Black Box hooked up so I did not even bother putting water back into the manometers. I fired it up and let things warm up and stabilize. Then I grabbed my calibration plate and checked the flow, fully expecting that I may have to dink around to get things right on. It was .1 CFM different than it was 90 days ago. One Tenth of a cubic foot! I will stick to my home made orifice bench THANKS!

John
106-1194218389

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:13 pm

The orifice bench is not a new concept. People are finding out how truly accurate they are with some fine tuning of either their equipment or the bench design.

The NACA people were not stupid and only used the orifice stuff during the pre-WW-II engine testing on some serious Turbo/supercharged "compounded" Large engines. I read a few of the the old NACA
reports from their website every morning with my coffee at work and it gives me a great resource of information for doing my job. That "Old Physics" does not change!

Tom Vaught

ps Thanks to Bruce and the members for making this another great site for information. We have come a long way, guys!
thomasvaught-1

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:47 pm

[color=#000000]I
49-1183904562

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:12 pm

I have seen the "blue bench" boys do the same demo at trade shows with a quarter laid against an air filter that they are flowing. Deal is a quarter is actually a pretty big area change for the air vs the total filter area that is flowing.

The pea sized obstruction in the flow being accurately read vs the port size basically demonstrates the same high accuracy capability with the electronic instrumentation.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby larrycavan » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:04 pm

I dont' post much anymore here but I sure do check in often because you never know what someone is going to dream up next around this place.....Amazing how far it's come and the projects that have come out of this collection of ideas and opinions.

Last week I had some bozo post this nonsense on " Flowbenches Don't tell you anything" that he read in one of the drag racing rags. It was an article by David Reher and totally taken out of context. Seems we're all just wasting our time guys.......yea - right - ok - sure..........NOT!
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:31 pm

106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:01 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:38 pm

Bruce,
We know when somebody makes a statement like this there is another motive or they don't know what the heck they are talking about. Is a flowbench the only answer? We know it is not, but in my case I could have taken a mold from the ports and found out they were too small and made my CSA correct. There was another problem with my ports that DID take the flow bench to find. That was my SSR was wrong and the port start going backwards at the convergence lift and that takes a flow bench. That is unless ole Reher and Morrison can fart as hard as I do and then maybe they can forget the flow bench. :D

John
106-1194218389

Postby DAveK » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:13 am

www.koehlerinjection.com

"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
DAveK

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:27 pm

Years ago I helped Buddy Morrison with parts and a design for a high capacity Flow Bench. In exchange he sent me some parts from the old "Shepard Flow Bench" they had on site. These parts were the parts/Flow Bench that made RMS what it was years ago.

Even after Shepard was killed Buddy used the benches. Same deal with Darin's "Bench knowledge". Darin was a big RM asset.

David was always on the business side of the deal. He is looking out for his interests vs respecting his former partners knowledge in the previous years successes.

I read every article David posts in ND but I take each one with a grain of salt.

JMO

Tom V.

ps I sold the "Shepard bench" to a guy out west years ago.
thomasvaught-1

Postby bruce » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:29 am

Tom, being one of the flowbench pioneers thanks for sticking around and helping us out!

Would be interesting if you ever found any old photos of some of the early flowbenchs to post them up to the forum.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby DAveK » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:52 pm

www.koehlerinjection.com

"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
DAveK

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion