[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Manometer vs. FP1

Manometer vs. FP1

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby cspeier » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:00 pm

OK guys. This is what I found between my handy trusty Dwyer manomters and a Flow Performance FP1. I'm going to start with a few things I found and then the actual flow test.

*John is simply one of the most helpful persons I've ever purchased something from. Everyone should take a lesson from him on customer service! Thanks John..

*NO MORE FLUID... I got so tired of always filling or zeroing my manometers.. It's all over!

*I don't have to worry about flooding over my manometers! I can turn all the motors on without fluid going all over. AMEN!!

*I can use my largest orifice for the entire test flow. No more sliding the disk. I start at .200 and finish at 1.000 all on the same disk!

*Very easy and simple to navigate. Easy to change values and very user friendly software.

I want to remind people that this is not a paid for advertisement! This is one of the nicest products I've ever purchased!

Flow test results: SB2.2 head, 4.155 fixture, 2.180/1.580 valve.

Manometer FP1
.200 124.9 125.7
.300 213.9 215.1
.400 300.9 301.5
.500 367.8 366.3
.600 403.6 405.2
.700 417.5 416.3
.800 413.5 413.7
.900 411.5 412.2

The only thing I see is the head needs lots of help! John can you fix that for me also?
cspeier

Postby Mouse » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Thanks Chad, I am glad it worked out for you. You must have an awsome bench. You should post a picture if you can. And the Excel spreadsheet you are using is awsome too. Congrates to the person who made it. Got a picture of it here. If it ain't on there, you don't need it!

Thanks again Chad

John
Mouse

Postby cspeier » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:34 pm

The spreadsheet is a creation of Rick Ferbert, Rick_360. It's the coolest thing ever! He made it so easy to understand. When he first sent me a copy, I felt that it should've cost me $249 like PT stuff! I told Rick he could sell it. Being the good guy he is, he told me he was glad it was helpful. Thanks Rick again, it'd still great!

Chad
cspeier

Postby Mousehouse1 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:57 am

Chad which kit did you buy and was it just the box or did you buy some of his accessories?
Mousehouse1

Postby cboggs » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:57 pm

Chad,

looks like a sweet set up, .. and yea the SB2.2 does need a little
help, .. but it isn't bad. Run a CFM demand of your bore / stroke combo,
you might be close.

John, .. this computer and spread sheet look good, .. I have a new
bench I'm building and would like to have it computerized.

I'm using the PT software, will it work with that or do I need Rick's
spread sheet??

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Mouse » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:05 pm

Hi Curtis,

If you are asking about an FP1 flow processor, I do not know what other software the FP1 will work with. You can use an Excel spread sheet with the FP1 if you are using the Flow Performance FPcomXL software.

The FPcomXL software is identical to the free (with purchase of an FP1) version of FPcom software, the only difference between FPcom and FPcomXL is that FPcomXL will send the data from the FP1 directly on to Excel. You can use any spreadsheet you want in Excel, make your own, get a copy from someone...etc.. FP is working on a new version of FPcomXL where you can open more than one spread sheet at a time.

I have been thinking about asking Bruce if he would make a spread sheet forum, where people could post ideas and tricks on making spread sheets, and people could post their own sheets for download.

John
Mouse

Postby cspeier » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:36 pm

cspeier

Postby cboggs » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:05 am

John,

I'm using the Performance Trends Port Flow Analyzer, ..
good software with TONs of calcs & info, ..

Thanks,

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:31 am

Curtis,

You will need to ask them if their software will work with the FP1. The FP1 output is plain text. FPcom is actually a simple word processor, like Note Pad. What you see in FPcom is what is comming out the FP1 serial port (except for a few control characters. FP will define those for anyone interested).

John
Mouse

Postby Mouse » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:46 am

Mouse

Postby cspeier » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:02 pm

For those who are interested. I finally had a chance to play with my cylinder head rather than my bench. I finally got it somewhat how I want it. I just need Curtis or someone to tell me if it's enough air. Thanks Guys.

.200- 135
.300- 213
.400- 297
.500- 361
.600- 406
.700- 409
.800- 411
.900- 413

3.50 CSA, average port velocity 330 fps. 2.180/1.580 valve, 4.165 bore. 280 cc port.

Chad
cspeier

Postby cboggs » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:44 pm

Chad,

I guess you didn't get Pipemax, ..

OK, .. so what is the stroke, intended rpm for peak power and
max lift on the cam??

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby cspeier » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:08 pm

The stroke is 3.700
The RPM is 10200
The cam has .960 lift, minus .025 lash.

So PipeMax will tell me this? You have the windows or DOS version? Thanks

Chad
cspeier

Postby cboggs » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:41 am

Chad,

yes Pipemax is FOR this, ..

I have the DOS version, ..

Let's hope Larry chimes in here since Pipemax is his software and he
knows this stuff better then I.

OK,

4.165" bore, .. 3.7" stroke, 4 cylinder. 2.18" intake valve, .. 1.58" exhaust, ..
.960" lift.

Your 10,200 rpm might be a little high ;-)

here's what I got for 10,200 rpm, ..
Curtain area choke with .960" lift is 9621 rpm, need .987" to avoid choke
Minimum CSA is 4.120" !!
Head CFM demand is 496.1
Piston CFM demand is 506.3

Now a more realistic combo of your 201" CI at 9500 rpm peak power, ..
Curtain area choke with .960" lift 9621 rpm
Minimum CSA 3.8"
Head CFM demand 462.1
Piston CFM demand 471.5

Also, .. I don't know what you plan on using for a rod length, .. but the piston
speeds are scary high for this combo.

Curtis
Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby cspeier » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:38 am

Curtis

The 10200 is high, I was thinking thru the lights. 462 cfm? WOW is that even possible with a slayed valve? I come up with a 3.80 CSA, but was told to keep it at 3.500 for pulse reasons, by Darin. The rod length most guys are running is 5.990. All I can tell you is being a 4 cylinder with .960 lift and a 10200 rpm RL, I better buy stock in PSI or Manley valve springs. I had a 311 couple years ago with a 15 degree SBC head that had .910 lift and I replaced 1-3 springs A RUN!! They were even the 1048 and Nextec Manleys installed at 2.200. One good thing, I got really good at it, and have 1/2 as many now.. Always looking for the bright side Curtis!

Chad
cspeier

Next

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion