[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Velocity measurement

Velocity measurement

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby smooth blend » Fri May 20, 2005 5:08 am

[color=#000000]What technique do you guys use to measure velocity and with what conversion chart?
Does it have to be with a pitot tube? I want to test for boundary layer separation at the short turn radius and amount of drag from the walls.

I can port map with four v-mano
smooth blend

Postby bruce » Fri May 20, 2005 7:53 am

What does PT recommend using with their software would be my question?

I use a homemade pitot that works extremely well for velocity testing (this is discussed in another post on here) Use a spreadsheet to log the numbers and you can do what ever math or charting you want with that info then. You can wrap-up some serious testing time getting into port mapping I have found, but thats where the CFM's are found. I also use a wand with thread on the end to "see" what the flow is doing. You can use a single tube probe and get a really good idea of flow velocity but you can't convert it to an actual FPS number. This is how I have done it in the past, I have only started to use the pitot probe for some velocity testing after a member sent me a prototype to try. I have since made my own probe which has a smaller radius to use in my smaller ports.

I'm not one for buying the software since it is so limiting sometimes on how you can use the info, working with numbers in spreadsheets lets you use the data the way you want/need to for your specific program. Course you have to setup the spreadsheet.

It would be interesting to get a "super spreadsheet" made with all the members ideas from this forum? I know most don't want do alot of sharing of secrets though in an open forum . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco » Fri May 20, 2005 11:22 pm

I'm the "member" that sent Bruce the pitot tube. They're really quite easy to make, I used a few different sizes of copper and brass tubing, got a little more info.
86rocco

Postby smooth blend » Sun May 22, 2005 5:28 am

[color=#000000]I didn
smooth blend

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion