[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Zeroing in on my design.

Zeroing in on my design.

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby 86rocco » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:56 pm

86rocco

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:07 pm

I went to 36" just to see where they would come out. 36" is all the higher my vertical gauge will go. They may even hold more. 12" seems to be the max for most benches anyways. It just depends on the height of your incline.

Nick
Nick

Postby larrycavan » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:14 pm

Nick

When you tested that, was it under open flow conditions? ....no head on the stand...

Larry C
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:56 pm

Curtis I also have a mercdog/msd style bench. I am in the process of replacing the orifice disk. It didn't work properly and needed to be replaced. I replaced it with several 6x6 orifice plates that Bruce made for me. I switch them out when I need to change ranges. I haven't timed it yet but it shouldn't take more then 30 seconds to change them.

Once I finish the bench and have it back together I will have some results to post.
Mousehouse1

Postby cboggs » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:25 pm

Curtis Boggs
Racing Flow Development.
cboggs

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:01 pm

I added a board over the original orifice disk hole in the bench. Then I cut out two rings and glued in some o-rings. I also installed a nut and bolt towards the bottom to hold down the top board. Then I made another board with a hole centered in it to hold down the orifice plate. I used a router to cut out the bottom of that board to hold the orifice plate in place.

I am terrible about explaining things. So here are a couple of pictures. The router went a little crazy and decided to change its depth. I will have to make another hold down board.

Mousehouse1

Postby Nick » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:56 am

Larry,

Here's how I tested it. I put all the stoppers in, and hooked the well side of the vertical manometer to the motor side of the bench, where the incline should hook up to. I then just left the deck plate open (test stand side) and cranked up the pressure to see if they would come out. I then removed them one at a time and put them back. If you just set them in place they will come out, but a little push and they are fine.
However I will say, if you have large orifices they may not stay. My biggest one is only 2.5". If yours are bigger than that you may want to do some testing of your own. I plan on opening more than one at a time for higher flows.

As a side note I learned something interesting. There is a tremendous "Jet Stream" coming out of those orifices, at 12" pressure difference. I see how the MSD design would have problems with calibration.

I think I started a picture posting frenzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope I'm not confusing people here. People at work say I'm socially retarded, but so was Einstein!!

Nick
Nick

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:01 pm

Good Job Nick!

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Previous

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion