Some Questions - About design,bleed or valve system ....

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby woogoo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:38 pm

Hi guys,
I read the forum a couple of times and I learn some greats infos about everything around a flowbench, so thank you guys you doing a good job !

At first I want to built a simple MSD flowbench but after reading this forum a couple of time I change my mind. Im trying to make my own design by adding some of your guys idea but I still have some questions before starting to build the flowbench.

What are a good size for the hole below the orifice ( Where you put the bowl in the msd design) if you go with valve system?

If I go with bleed system what is the best size? The motor room afect the size?

How big the Bleed hole should be ? a 2" vavle will do the job?

Here a picture of what I will built soon. I will use a orifice plate with bolts and nut and I will use a 6 or 7" hole to reach the plate, the hole will be seal with o-ring and stud from the inside for the Exhast mode and from the outside for a intake mode to help to seal. I will do the same for the orifice Below the board for exhaust, I hope to reduce the leak by using the pressure to help the seal. I will use surplus motor with dicharge on the side and use Nick Idea with pipe to keep them outside. Feel free to tell me if you see something wrong in my design. Picture are in CM .

Ps: Forgive my english its not my main language

Thanks
woogoo

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:48 am

My bleed valve is 1.5" and will bleed off one motor at a time. So if I don't get the depression I want, I open the valve up and turn on one more motor.

Here's a tip If you going to use a gate valve, take the rubber seal out of the top, and the handle will spin free. It makes opening and closing the valve really easy. A quick spin from open to closed.

Where does the air enter and exit in your drawing? where will your orifices be?

Nick
Nick

Postby woogoo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:29 am

I redo the drawing and put the orifice and other detail. this design is like 2 bench in one ,each side are the same and each side will have the orifice and the deck plate and the intake and exhaust hole seal on the good side of the pressure to help.

For the air intake and exhaust when you will intake test some of the air will come from the exhaust bench and i will add a hole on each side to lets more air come out.

what should be the size or my "FEED" Hole. I know if you go valve its around 6" or 7", but on bleed system ?

I think im gonna use maybe two 1.5" valve to bleed

I will not use any gate valve, I want no leak so every trap in the bench will be seal from the good side of the pressure with Stud and nut. To go to intake more or exhaust mode will surely take a few minute but who care. To change the orifice I will have to open a deck plate with maybe 8 nuts but I will Keep an impact gun near the bench this should not take too much time.
woogoo

Postby Kyrasis6 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Why not get some camlocks or make some sort of similar fastener? One half turn with a skrewdriver or wrench and it would release, press down and turn again and it is tight.
Kyrasis6

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:15 pm

There are deck plates that are made where the cover will screw into the ring. No need for a impact wrench, can use your fingers. Beckman makes them.

I will need to look at your drawing more closely as some parts are a little unclear for me presently.

Good luck.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby woogoo » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:51 pm

I start the building last week, I will try to take some picture that will maybe help you guys understand my design. The bench is like 3 box one for exhaust the motor box in center and the intake box. This way I hope to reduce the leak and get a stronger bench, one box will want to explose and the other to implose this way I can put the metal brace inside at perfect spot for each box. And the larger panel have only 15X36" I hope I can get some good depression.

I will not use REAL deck plate for now because its hard to find where I live and I prefer keep my money for finish the bench before upgrade to them. Just the 4 sheet of 3/4 mdf and some clue cost me like 150$ CAD , Its a chance I dont have to pay for the screw or anything Electric Except the motor (Father is electician).

So for now im gonna use just a piece of mdf with stud and bolts,That will not be so bad if they seal for the good side of the presure.

I try to find some large gate valve to bleed but the larger I find was only 1" and they cost a lot. Maybe im gonna try to make me a gate valve with some 2" or 3" pvc pipe or a butterfly type.

Thanks
woogoo

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion