[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - SF110 question for TOM V. - 110 fried motor

SF110 question for TOM V. - 110 fried motor

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby larrycavan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Tom,

Have you any experience with SF110 with burning up motors?

A friend of mine has one that fried the motor and he replaced it. He tells me the bench still smells like something is burning when he turns it on. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. Hoping you many know a specific problem...

Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby ThomasVaught » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:59 pm

Ametek has had a bunch of bad brush alignment
motors over the years. If he can visually look at
the brushes if there is a fireball at the brush location it has bad brush alighment. I run the things before I install them and still have one act up on occasion.

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Postby larrycavan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks Tom.

Would that account for the burnt smell that doesn't seem to go away?
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby ThomasVaught » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:32 pm

I would look at the motors asap as we had a catastrophic failure on
one motor and when we inspected it the brush holders were severely damaged from the heat.

The burnt smell is probably the brush holders melting, Larry.

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Postby gofaster » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:00 pm

I would recommend looking at the terminals that are bolted to the plywood inside the bench, and do it soon! My 110 burned a hole clear through the plywood (or whatever it is) because of a loose connection. I ended up making a new panel out of delrin to replace the burnt section, and make a sturdier mount for the terminals. I thought I was burning up motors, too, until the bench burned that hole through. Then my test pressure became hard to regulate, and my % scale readngs were creeping, which were clues that there was an internal leak. And "oooh that smell!"
Good luck, the 110 didn't appear to be designed for easy dissassembly!
Jim
gofaster

Postby ThomasVaught » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:35 pm

All of the Blue Benches are basically "glued together- you're screwed" type benches. It always grinds me to see someone take a saber saw or circular saw to a $10,000 bench to replace a $120.00 vacuum motor. :(

You have no way of knowing what the electrical connections look like on the rotating type disc blue benches. The 1200 bench has the motors in the bottom of the bench. You can lay it on its back and take the access panel off and get to those motors.

Good luck.

Another reason to build your own design.

Tom V.
ThomasVaught

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion