[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Over Pressure valve?

Over Pressure valve?

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:50 am

I know this has been discussed in the past but I can't find it using my search so I'm making a new post on this subject.

I picked up a valve the other week in the local hardware store that appears to be able to be modified to use as an adjustable over pressure valve to keep a bench from imploding.

Here are a few pictures of the valve.

I have not had any time to work on this project but it appears to me after looking at the valve the bolt holding the spring can be removed and replaced with a threaded rod and a new heavier spring installed that would allow the valve to be "tuned" to a set static pressure.

This valve is a 2" pvc spring loaded check valve and was less than $20. They had smaller and larger sizes, this one was the easiest to work with for the money.

I'm open for discussion?

Edited By bruce on 1201531866
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby SWR » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 am

I think that would be a great idea to have one for those instances where a shop rag decides to block the orifice.. Not that it happened to me.. :laugh:
SWR

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:12 pm

Bruce;

This looks like a great start to a new project!, LOL

I am sure glad you are stuck working from home this winter. Once you have this thing calibrated, one for pressure one for vacuum are you going to offer them as part of your product line???

Just finish upgrading the electric to the shop
wiring the new bench
fix the removable access cover to your liking
finalize the Monometer plans and kits
don't forget the 12 motor upgraded plans and
did i mention the blower!. :D

EDIT Bruce

To add to this list my wife also has me doing the dishes, laundry and cleaning besides!! She gets up and goes to work I sleep in, I tell her it's payback for all the years I got up at 4 am and got home at 5:30 or traveled all over the world for weeks on end with the military! :)

So count me in for two.

All kidding aside that realy is a great find.

Rick

Edited By bruce on 1201563735
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm

I'm just multi-tasking . . . besides I'm doing all this is for everyone out there building flowbenches :p

Edited By bruce on 1201563770
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby racehead » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Bruce, that is a great idea. These type of valves are also used in large diesel engine in the crankcase as a safety precaution. One of the problems that I see is getting the calibrated spring for the pressure that you want.
racehead

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:24 pm

Thats the nice thing about this valve you can install a different spring and then using a threaded rod in place of the bolt that is there now adjust the pop-off pressure with a locking nut. Once you have it set it should work at the same pressure every time. It can be adjusted to work with the specific bench it's installed on.

If it works as I think it will in my shop, I'll probably add it to my list of DIY parts if nothing else I'll take pics and post them if someone wants to buy their own valve and make one.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:57 pm

WOW! DID you just wield the ADMINISTRATOR privilege and edit my post????

I better watch what we say or you could get me in trouble :p or something like that.....
49-1183904562

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:14 pm

bruce
Site Admin

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion