[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Orifice Plate in a tube flow device - discussion on anything pertaining 2 this

Orifice Plate in a tube flow device - discussion on anything pertaining 2 this

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 am

btw pressure control is just done having the shop vac plugged into a Harbor Freight router speed control
106-1194218389

Postby bruce » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:44 am

Sounds an awful like this setup:
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:14 am

106-1194218389

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:07 pm

Larry, At one time I was very interested in getting even distribution to all cylinders on an intake manifold (Traditional Pontiac engine).

I epoxied up the lifter area of the upper valley, made a oil pan with a 4" tube in the sump, created a way ro seal the front and rear main openings and other smaller openings.

Now I just used a set of used head gaskets with two known even flowing heads and I bolted on my intake.

By opening the correct intake valve(s) I could check each intake runner and also compare multiple runners at the same time. Thanks Smokey. Because I had all of the left over stuff laying around it cost me very little to get it going. I used a laminar device like Smokey but I could have used a "orifice in a tube" attached to the oil pan too.

Don't necessarily have to build a flow cabinet to do flow studies. I have since built at least 20 other benches of different types, larry, but i still have that modded block and parts in the corner of the garage if I ever need it. LOL! back then I had much more time vs money.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby SWR » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:54 pm

Did a test...I moved the cabinet holding the motors today,so the 5" pipe of my old bench went from 4 feet of straight pipe before the orifice to 9 feet,it gave me just a 1.5cfm increase on a 200cfm orifice. So I doubt any kind of flow straightening will help as soon as the orifice dia goes over 30% of the tubing dia. Not that it's relevant,I just wanted to tell. :)
SWR

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Well now I know when I talk about beta ratios I need to ask if people want to talk Area or Diameter relationships.

Agree with the flow straightener deal too. Not
all they are cracked up to be unless you have them in a turn (like in a wind tunnel).

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Previous

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion