[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Radio Controlled Engine Flow Bench

Radio Controlled Engine Flow Bench

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:57 am

Mike,

Based on your input above your bench is acting like it has a big leak on the test side.

What setup testing Leak etc have you done??

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby Mike Rappold » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:03 am

Made some progress tonight. Turns out the reference point I was using for "level" on the mamometers was not truely level. This threw off the measurements for the 3" rise on both. I reset and now both manometers read much closer to the digitil hand held manometer.

Still need some guideance on the incline and how its rise relates to the orifice pressure drop design pressure. Thoughts??

Bruce,
I made a test piece plate with a 0.449 diameter. This matches the orifice plate in bench. Will test tomorrow. I do not fully follow your comments in a previous post though. You mention setting the test pressure at 3" and then the incline at 100%. Do you mean to adjust the incline to what ever angle will allow it to read 100% to match the 3" test pressure?

Tom Vaught,
On the commerical benches, you mention that the pickups for the orifice plates are located within a 1/2" of the OD. Does it matter if the pickup points end faces the orifice? Or should it open up to the chamber area? I would think it should not make a difference but thought I would ask befoere i change my pickup point location.

Thanks in advance.
Mike
Mike Rappold

Postby bruce » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:09 am

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Mike Rappold » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:49 am

I have made progress since last post. A couple of items done:

- I tried a different location for the test pressure pickup on top of the bench. It does not seem to matter for my bench if it is on the top corner or the lower bottom corner. I get the same readings. The flucuations are minor in both spots.

- I added another location for the differential pressure pickup. The new location is about 3/8" off the orifice plate wall and about 2" from the OD of the orifice. This point gives a slightly different reading than the far corners of the bench. Still testing on this one to see which location appears to be better.

- I think I solved my differential pressure vs. incline height question. I beleive the formula I orginally used to calculate the cfm of a 2 stroke engine was incorrect. It made the flow too low. I used another formula that produced a higher cfm required and thus a larger orifice. When I made a larger orifice plate and tried again tonight, the incline was more in line with what was expected - about 3" for 100% of my desired max flow.

Next steps are to tweak the orifice plate size, make up a same size test plate, and begin testing.

Mike
Mike Rappold

Previous

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion