[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Planing a new bench - rubber plugs and orifice range

Planing a new bench - rubber plugs and orifice range

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby Erik » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:44 pm

So now it time to build a new bench this is an adiction.

Qestion????

Planing to use ruber plugs to determin ranges inside the bench on a fixed orifice pate that is flowing both directions. If I put in the pugs from one side will they stay in place when i revers the bench?? or do I nead to move the plug to the oter side?? when the test presure is ower 28"H2O. Have anyone thryed this??

I am using FP1 so I was thinking of using three ranges on the orifice plate 150cfm, 300cfm, 600cfm is this a good idea

nead opinions
Erik

Postby 86rocco1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:54 pm

There are quite a number of benchs out there using that technique so yes it can be made to work.

If you're worried about the particular setup you have in mind, why not make a mock up and test it. Make a sample of your largest orifice, put a rubber stopper with an eyelet screwed into the center of it, hold it upside down and see how much weight you can hang off of the eyelet before the stopper pulls out. And remember, the stoppers will not usually see the full 28" pressure difference, the most they would normally have to hold back is whatever pressure is at 100% on your inclined manometer.
86rocco1

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:52 pm

Say for example you have a conventional looking orifice bench with the orifice plate located about 1/2 way up the height of the bench. If you install TWO port holes, one in the upper chamber and one in the lower chamber of the bench, when you are doing intake testing you can install the stoppers from the top side. When you are doing exhaust testing the stoppers will remain in place if the stoppers are installed from the bottom side through the lower port hole and wedged in place. Exhaust pressure will seat them firmly.

Another method is to put a thick metal ring on the top side of the stopper and even when doing exhaust testing the weight will keep the stopper seated in the orifice hole.

A third way to correct the issue is to mount the orifice plate sideways like Tony did his bench and use two port holes. Move the stoppers from side to side like in the forst example.

I have done them all with equal results.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby Erik » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:35 am

[color=#000000]Thank
Erik

Postby SWR » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 am

Erik, I'm using ventilation pieces from Lindab Sweden for my port holes.. in the larger sizes the tube end caps I'm using even have a bayonet locking tab either side of the cap,so you just twist it,then pull it straight off in 1 second. And the Lindab inlet parts that bolt to the bench have dual neoprene gaskets,so no sealing issues.. :) Not that I found yet,at least.
SWR

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 pm

Some of our european friends have posted about the Beckson Port Holes in the past.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby larrycavan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:08 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 86rocco1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:51 pm

86rocco1

Postby larrycavan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:05 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Erik » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:04 pm

I dont think that there will be aproblem with the orifices.
I planing to use 2mm stainless for the orifice plate with square edge.
soner or later the orifice probobly will be worn out, but I think it will be after my retierment :D
I think steel is harder than rubber
:p
Normaly I check the calibration prety often.
Erik

Postby bruce » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Its not that the orifice plate will get worn out it's the fact it will lose it's sharp edge which will change the Cd over time. Be aware also, that to thin a plate could possibly vibrate.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:12 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Erik » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:36 pm

[color=#000000]Thank
Erik

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:14 pm

I would not worry so much about potentially damaging the sharp edge of the orifice plate vs doing routine calibration checks to determine what the flow range was for a given day.

If you look at 86Rocco's spreadsheet for the orifice calculation you will see that even if you set the discharge co-efficient at a perfect .62 cd
and you think you have a perfect .62 cd created orifice plate, the flow number in the program is based on an assumed lbs/cubic foot number like .076 lbs/cubic foot.

Depending on where you are in the world, unless you are at seal level on the perfect Standard Temperature and Pressure day, the flow number calculated will be slightly different vs what you assumed in your initial calculations when you designed the orifices.

Using Bruce's calibration orifice before testing each day will tell you the offset for that day whether the Delta P orifice has a perfect sharp edge or a slightly worn edge, in my opinion.

Tom V.
thomasvaught-1

Postby Erik » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm

This is my opinion also

When I used my old bench and the SF110 I always started the test sesion with check the calibration.
when using yhe FP1 the Cd only is a walue to calibrate the bench it dont seams like Cd walue affects the qality fo the flowtest as long as the calibation is ok to a good calibration plate.

Erik
Erik

Next

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion