Opinions Wanted - MSD Design, Top Modification

Orifice Style bench discussions

Postby larrycavan » Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:10 pm

The attached drawing depicts changes I want to make to my MSD style flowbench. I"m adding a new top, on top of the existing top. The new top section is shown in green.

Dimensions:

36"Length x 14"Width x 3"Hight

The red hole represents the discharge hole in the new top. The existing hole [directly beneath the red one] will be sealed off.

In the existing top, I will make a new 4" hole. My thinking is that it should be off to the right [blue hole]. The air will flow from the top discharge hole, down into the new, added plenium, then through the blue hole into the flow disk plenium.

My thinking is to keep the manometer probe off to the left side where it currently resides, there by isolating it from the flow stream.

The hole on the left [yellow] is an alternate location or possibly a second hole.

I'm looking for opinions before I cut the new hole(s)
in the existing top.

I believe the size of the added plenium will be more than adequate for my purposes.

Best Regards,
Larry
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby JRM » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:42 am

I could see you idea working but only in the sucking position. If the bench is changed to the blowing position alot of air turbulance would be stiring up in the chamber. I would think that would cause alot of mis readings.
Lastly I don't know if there is a limit to the chamber size in volume. If there is then that might cause a problem also
JRM

Return to Orifice Style bench discussion