[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - My dyno project

My dyno project

General Dyno discussion (read only) please make any new posts in the new Dyno forum

Postby bruce » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:03 pm

For anyone who has been following alone with my dyno build webpage I have added a new update today on the console progress:

I know, I know its been a long drawn out project, I'm not made of money so it takes me time to get things accomplished. For me building and learning something is half the fun anyways . . . with any luck in the next few weeks I'll have it ready to test my engine.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby RRBD » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Bruce,
looks really good! How does your throttle control circuit work?(if you dont mind)
I'm currently working on an inertia dyno for small engines. Any ideas as to what a person can use for a wheel speed sensor. I was thinking about a crank trigger type sensor, but just havent looked alot. I've been using a prox switch, but they are pretty $$

I have found a nice turbine flow meter that should work good for B.S.F.C. If you want the info let me know.......

Thanks
Scott
RRBD

Postby bruce » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:54 pm

Check ebay for proxy sensors.

I'm using an RC servo for my throttle control so I have to build a circuit to control it. I downloaded a schematic off the net and now I just have to solder all those little parts I got at Radio Shack to a board and hope it works. Oh I also have to buy/find a 62K resistor to complete it, Radio Shack didnt have any.

Ah yes every project I seem to do is a learning project . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Rick360 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:41 pm

RRBD,

I am using this sensor from Jameco ($20 works to 1.5KHz, 10-30VDC) on my home built data aquisition system on my race car. I use it for driveshaft speed and front tire speed. It would work fine for rpm too. Needs some type of ferrous metal to sense.

Rick360
Rick360

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:34 pm

Its my post and I can Hijack it . . . did I hear someone say

"my home built data aquisition system on my race car"

Any info on this project? Would like to hear more on it if you care to share?
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Rick360 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:00 pm

No problem sharing ...
I used a 8051 derivative (C515C) uP board from Emac ($150) , built my own interface board to isolate and condition the digital inputs, rpm/freq inputs and analog. I did the programming for the uP in assembler and burn it into the Eprom myself. I designed a board layout for the interface board that I had ExpressPCB make for me. Now no more soldering wires between parts.

The final product has 8 digital inputs, 4 of which can be used for rpm/freq and 6 external analog (0-5V) with 2 built in analog channels (Batt voltage and Accel). I have it sampling at 200 s/sec but could do 500, with shorter total sampling time.

I download the run with a laptop thru a serial cable running software I wrote in VB and view and graph it within the same software.

For sensors I use the Jameco prox form earlier post for driveshaft speed and front tire speed. One of the digital/rpm inputs is designed to accept the MSD tach signal directly for engine RPM. I got a GM absolute pressure sensor that I am trying this year for manifold pressure or crankcase pressure. I've tried a couple of different accel sensors.

Still making mods (mostly software, VB and uP code) to make it better each year.

I could go on but what info are you interested in.

Rick
Rick360

Postby 86rocco » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:14 pm

Since Bruce has already hijacked his own thread, I'm going to raise a question that takes us a little further down that road. Has anyone here tried using a for engine or dyno data aquisition?
86rocco

Postby bruce » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:06 pm

Rick360,

I just like to hear what others do for themselves. I have more respect for the DIY'er who enjoys making things for themselves. I find that making things is half if not more than half the fun. Doubt I would ever evolve to the level of knowledge that is required to build what you did but I find it interesting to say the least!!

On another note; Those of you who know me or have talked to me personally know that I am not "politically correct" and do not mind my threads being Hijacked for other discussions. The board is here to share info and how every that info is shared works for me
bruce
Site Admin

Postby MR WEBER » Wed May 25, 2005 12:49 pm

How are you going to control the telma?
MR WEBER

Postby bruce » Wed May 25, 2005 1:25 pm

I used a variac transformer, I only needed 9 amps of current for the max engine torque I need to test with my eddy current (PAU) unit. My PAU will test up to 280 lbs ft at 8000 rpm's my engines are alot smaller that that. If you go with a variac for the power supply you need to find one that has the max amps you will need.

You can also control a transformer with the variac if you need more amps, Tony would be the one to discuss this with. I'd contact Telma and see if they can give you any advice?

My PAU was from KLAM, I had contacted them and they sent me drawings and power requirements for my unit.
bruce
Site Admin

Postby RRBD » Thu May 26, 2005 12:30 am

Rocco, I'm working on it right now, but using Dataq stuff. I'm experimenting recording rpm using a prox switch, and pressure using a pressure transducer. I'm sort of lacking in the electronics dept. but am learning fast, I'm going to try to use an LM2917 for a tach output in volts. I'm messing with a Stuska water brake (11") and am in the process of machining a new 6" absorber for my Briggs Animal engines. I will give progress reports as I make changes.

Scott
RRBD

Return to General Dyno discussion