[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - home made water brake

home made water brake

General Dyno discussion (read only) please make any new posts in the new Dyno forum

Postby What » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:13 pm

I had come accross a few companies in the past that were offering data acquisition software/hardware for DIY dyno types. I believe one had started off as a smaller bike type dyno project, and the company then expanded that? Anybody have reference to that, or links to current companies capable of offering this?

We are planning to have a chassis dyno built in the next few months with something similar to what dynojet has done. the only real complicated pieces are the balanced and rather heavy drums and the data acquisition.
What

Postby 84-1074663779 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:32 pm

Great topic, I am wondering about this myself at the moment for a future dyno project.

The only trouble is, so much depends on what features you want and how much cash there is to indulge in a data acquisition system and software.

What are you home dyno guys using at the moment ???
84-1074663779

Postby Greg » Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:22 pm

Ive been looking around at a few different data aquisition and control packages, here are a few links:

The above setup would be great for an inertia dyno which sounds like what you're making, apparently it can also be used on eddy current or water brake dynos. Its cheap compared to a lot of the others and Performance Trends stuff seems to be very good quality. A link below to the actual software and hardware from Performance Trends:

I dont know, but I think this setup below might be adaptable to an inertia dyno as well, seeing its only $195 or so it would be worth having a play with. Its very basic but might be a good learning tool.

I think I have a few other links on the computer at home, I'll have a look tonight
Greg

Postby 114-1084038896 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:33 pm

114-1084038896

Postby 99-1134301289 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:27 am

hello here some photo of my project of torque converter modified in water brake for my futur engine dyno

99-1134301289

Postby bruce » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:23 pm

Looks like an interesting project, keep us up-to-date as you go along.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 99-1134301289 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:49 pm

Hello, to build my water brake I took the idea on that of a guy of Finland after having taken contact by email with him it has advised me to make modification and to copy the principle of a stuska for the moment I advance step by step I did not finish yet I would add photographs of are that possible I do not know when it is ready for the measurement of the torke I think bought on ebay a load cell and a digital display panel for made of water I do not know yet how to make with pump water if you have ideas that would be useful for me. I hope to be able controlled engines until to 300 or 400 CV.
99-1134301289

Postby DaveMcLain » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:41 am

On my dyno I have a Land and Sea absorber and really I don't think it would be all that difficult for someone with access to a CNC controlled milling machine to make something similar. The Land and Sea absorber works very well and I've run mine over 900 horsepower with a very simple water supply setup. What I use is an old water well pressure tank with a 1 inch hose outlet. Water from the water main goes into this tank and it supplies the needed reserve capacity for a dyno pull. My absorber will work with around 900 horsepower but that's about it, my load valve is wide open and the pull must run at 600rpm/sec.

Also, I supercharge the tank using a simple and inexpensive water pump from the farm supply, it's a 1 horsepower FlowTech pump. I put a check valve at the inlet of the tank and a water well pressure switch on the top. Water pressure from the main comes in at about 45psi, this pump boosts the pressure to about 75psi in the tank giving me a very good supply of water volume and pressure for the duration of the dyno pull.
DaveMcLain

Postby wing64k » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:09 pm

Dave Do you have any pic's of your set-up.

Thanks Dean
wing64k

Postby DaveMcLain » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:41 pm

I'll try to dig some up.
DaveMcLain

Postby DaveMcLain » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Servo Load Valve from Land and Sea, 1 inch hose attaches from water tank and -16 line goes to rear of water brake.

Pressure gauge showing tank pressure, supercharged by Flow Tech pump up from about 45lbs to a shutoff pressure of 75lbs.

Well pressure switch set to kick on the pump at 65lbs, kick off at 75lbs tank pressure.
DaveMcLain

Postby DaveMcLain » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:15 pm

Water pump with inlet check valve. 1 inch hose enters pump from water hydrant trough check valve. Feeds tank through 1 inch gate valve, note packing seeps a little bit.

Land and Sea water brake, coil mount and bell housing. Big block Chevy still on dyno from last weekend's testing session.

Big Chevy on Dyno to show scale, water brake is compact and clears about 99% of all headers.

Base of cooling tower showing fill valve, drain and thermostatic valve to regulate temp of coolant. CSI circulation pump is 12 volt powered and circulates coolant to and from engine, engine mounted water pump is used as a manifold only, no belts.

Fuel Rail

Fuel is supplied by two Holley Black pumps, enough for 900 horsepower with methanol. Fuel rail uses BLP bypass return style regulator to return extra fuel to the tank and purge air very quickly.

Another shot of the fuel rail showing regulator.

Control panel with gauges and switch box. MSD timing control and detonation sensor too.
DaveMcLain

Postby bruce » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Always enjoy seeing other people's projects!! Thanks for posting!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby wing64k » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:59 pm

Thanks
wing64k

Postby wing64k » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Dave Did you get the brake from Land & Sea or from somewhere else.
wing64k

Next

Return to General Dyno discussion