[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Flow Visualization - Does a clear bore adapter help?

Flow Visualization - Does a clear bore adapter help?

Discussion on flowbench testing techniques "top secret" ideas . . .

Postby 115-1172523331 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Hi all, As I promised in my "Finally Working" (Readers projects) post, here is one on my new bore adapter (pic attached). As I was looking at it, I thought the clear aspect of the adapter might provide for some flow visualization, qualitative if not quantitative. A few questions popped into my head (and it is filled with my spreadsheet/geometry problems right now), so I thought I would ask this group. Has anyone ever tried to put an array of short strings inside or on the walls of these things, and did it provide any insight? I know that "string on a stick" is sometimes used in the inlet, but would a string long enough to pass through the valve and into the bore adapter be worthwhile to detect swirl or tumble? In testing aircraft in wind tunnels we used short tufts of "frogs hair" looking for turbulence, could that work on the inside of the head for finding stagnant and high energy areas? Does anyone have any thoughts, or other ideas in this area? I have read previous posts about using smoke, I guess that also applies here. I am already planning on doing the above mentioned "techniques" and will report, just wondering if you have tried any?

Now I see why Bruce calls this an "addiction"! -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby bruce » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Small tufts of string and duct tape on the valve head has allowed me to see changes in flow on my flatheads. I've done the "string on a stick" and it was enlightening.

No need to limit yourself on doing it or not doing it based on what others have or have not tried, give it a go and see what you find . . . it's an "addiction" be a junkie LOL

Just be aware that what ever you use could come loose and end up going through your blowers so make sure it's small. I wrapped string around my swirl meter one time!! I snake my string into a piece of tube (gives you a handle) so one end is sticking out the front and the other is out the back taped to the tube and use it that way, course the part sticking into your port starts out a lot long.

Edited By bruce on 1200504698
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 115-1172523331 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi Bruce, I was planning on doing it anyway, just wondered what others have done. It there a post on the swirl meter?

Doug

Found the post! Looking at your paddles and remembering some other things I went to AudieTech.com for a refresher. Their meter uses a thin disc of honeycomb (for sensitivity) and a more sophisticated version of your output device. If I remember right, you had some thin honeycomb laying around from a flow straightener experiment. Hmmmmm! just a thought!

Doug
115-1172523331

Postby larrycavan » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Tip from Darin Morgan:

Big Gulp Drink Cup & Dry Ice - will give you a visual pattern of what's taking place.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby 115-1172523331 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Thanks Larry, "Smoke" that doesn't trip fire alarms and goes away! May I say "COOL"? -- Doug
115-1172523331

Postby 106-1194218389 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:34 am

I came across Darin Morgan's web site and it is a must see. The page I have included is his "wet flow" page. Extremely interesting. His whole site is a must see. I love Darin's attitude that he does not try and hide anything.

John
106-1194218389

Return to Flowbench techniques