[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Head adaptor question? - Well not really a technique, but . . .

Head adaptor question? - Well not really a technique, but . . .

Discussion on flowbench testing techniques "top secret" ideas . . .

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 pm

I know this question has been asked on the forum before somewhere but I can't find it so I'll ask again . . . what is the "standard" depth of the bore in the head adapter. I know it's a percent of the stroke but can't recall?
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby 106-1194218389 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:07 pm

Bruce,
I thought it just had to be at "least" a certain percent of stroke. I have made all adaptors 6" long as far as cylinder length. I feel you would want it at least the length of the stroke, but on some engines that seems pretty short to work with. You would also have to consider that in an engine it hits the bottom of the "well" when it gets to the piston top.
106-1194218389

Postby 106-1194218389 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 pm

[color=#000000]Bruce,
I found this on the Super Flow web site:
106-1194218389

Postby MMack » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:24 pm

I don't know if I saw it here or somewhere else, but I use 1.5X as a minimum and not more than 2X. I don't know much, but I thought I learned that here.

Mike
MMack

Postby MMack » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:25 pm

1.5X and 2X the stroke, left out that little detail.

Mike
MMack

Postby bruce » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:26 pm

I was thinking it was a percent of the bore instead of the stroke.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby racehead-1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:24 am

If I have a 5.5 inches hole on top of my bench, does the tube of the head stand have to be the same diameter. If it is only possible to get a tube of 6 inches is that ok to use on top of the 5.5 inches hole ?....

Well different opinions of the lenght of the stroke, which is the more acurate? I am thinking in building a head stand out of acrylic.
This information would be very helpful .
racehead-1

Postby 86rocco1 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:16 am

No, use a tube that matches as closely as reasonably possible the bore of the engine whose head you're testing. That way you're able to replicate any shrouding or other effects the cylinder wall may have on air flow.
86rocco1

Postby DWC » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:49 am

My superflow head adapters bore length is 131mm half of that length is an inside diameter of 4" and the other half is 4.250".
To my way of thinking it would be best if the length of the bore adapter had a relationship with its diameter that way different bore diameters would be relative.
Darrin.
DWC

Return to Flowbench techniques