[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Universal valve opening fixture?

Universal valve opening fixture?

Discussion on flowbench testing techniques "top secret" ideas . . .

Postby msj442 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:57 pm

nice job bruce. the handles come from mcmaster carr? im doing something similar but fell short on the aluminum bar and found some aluminum channel laying around from an old track lighting fixture.

max :)
msj442

Postby bruce » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Yes I purchased all the material from McMaster, the handles are adjustable for location. Pull them out and turn so you can set them in any place you want kinda cool.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby msj442 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:08 am

yeah they work pretty good. i put some on my mill that i got in a pile of junk parts from an auction. just curious where new stuff is bought from.

max :;):
msj442

Postby bruce » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:58 am

I use Mcmaster all the time, some prices might be a tad high on somethings but, if I order it one day I get it the next day UPS. I workup an order online and when I get it to a reasonable size so shipping is not to costly I place my order. I would not order one drill bit and have it shipped as the lowest shipping is like $6?

Large items like 6' pieces of aluminum ship in a tube and costs a little more but I don't mind paying for that convenience of not having to go source it somewhere local which takes time. I have a pretty good selection of "mystery metal" here in my shop but sometimes It takes to long to find what I need. I also have enough aluminum for this project that I could make a few of these to sell if I want to . . . :;):
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:31 pm

Rather than go the dial gauge route, I used cheap micrometer spindles. You have your thread to open the valve and your measurements all in one. They are also a lot more compact than dial gauges, particularly for 4 valve heads where the valve spacing makes everything a bit tight for dial gauges.

I've got fixtures made for different head types but it would be easy to adapt them to what Bruce has in the photos. The other benefit is you can run a heavier spring as you can screw them open with the micrometer, I found at low lifts the test pressure was pulling the valves open and giving me odd readings.
Greg

Previous

Return to Flowbench techniques