[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Procedure?

Procedure?

Discussion on flowbench testing techniques "top secret" ideas . . .

Postby Vicoor » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:59 pm

OK, So I've built this flow bench and it seems to do what I wanted it to. Now How do you guys proceed with testing to get the most out of your heads.

checking port and combustion chamber volumes

test flow at different lift points,

start your porting in what areas, etc?

Is there a particular sequence to give better and or quicker results?

What advice do you have for a newbie?

What works for you?
Vicoor

Postby larrycavan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:34 am

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks for the Formulas, Larry, I am always interested in getting new ones.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Vicoor » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Thanks Larry for the formulas.

I understand that getting flow velocities right is the way to get the most perfomance.

My goal is to get substantially better performance for My 4cyl Toyota P/U. I'm not racing it so I'm not thinking of getting every bit of potential out of it, but instead extracting what I can get efficiently. The head I'm working with (Toyota 22RE) is known not to flow very well. I'll have to post pictures of the intake port so everyone can see what I am up against.

Sans velocity probes what I've been trying to do so.far is to increase flow while removing as little material as possible. I've been able to gain 16% flow on one port and only increase the cross section marginally. It seems to me this must mean that I've increased velocity substantially as well.

Do you know where I can get tubing to make my own velocity probes? I think it would be good to be able to map the ports this way and give a better view of the dynamics.
Vicoor

Postby gofaster » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:20 pm

When you're ready to start making changes, I recommend starting at the valve seat, and work your way out in both directions. If you have the luxury of having a spare or "sacrificial" head, it's good to make some extra valve seat rings that can be popped in and out with slight pressure. That way you can test different seat widths, angles, and valve sizes. Beginners tend to start at the manifold gasket and work their way in, that's backwards. The big action is located between just above and just below the seat.

Edited By gofaster on 1184095405
Jim
gofaster

Postby Vicoor » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:29 pm

gofaster,
that's the kind of insight I'm looking for. I am a beginner, But so far I've stayed away from the manifold end of the port, (well mostly) :D
Vicoor

Return to Flowbench techniques