[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Porting Tech Videos

Porting Tech Videos

Discussion on flowbench testing techniques "top secret" ideas . . .

Postby Quan-Time » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:55 am

Has anyone got, or seen, porting tech videos ? Im after something that covers from beginning to end of everything. Something which would be great probably has:

Bench style - Pitot VS orifice
Gauge style - fluid VS digital
Bench size (obviously dont want construction, but many would im guessing)
Mounting options / styles
Probes / tools (wands, flags, balls, etc)
Making a port mold with some sort of silicone / etc..
How to diagnose poor flow with previous tools
How to "port map" high / low velocity parts.
How to plot a CFM chart as you operate the bench
(insert a few tech's here)
Basic tools for grinding out the port. Scroll sander, burrs, etc.. Obviously iron and alloy.
Comparing results

Bonus sections:

What NOT to do. (ie: open the port so huge you get more CFM than a toilet bowl, but obviously your velo / pres would suffer. General traps for new players).

Building a flow box from a mold of your port for "testing".

I think the video should cover 2v, 4v, flathead, possibly even 2stroke and rotary *shudder*

If nothing exists. Can someone make a good quality one which i can have ? Failing that, i guess im fine.
I know what i can and cannot do, but a good "guide" would be nice. Also help get others involved. Everyone is "oh yer, can you port my head ? cool. mates rates right, just a carton of beer ?"... refusal often offends :(
Quan-Time

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:36 am

Sure 99.9% of all that including wet flow videos can be found at the following site :D

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby blaktopr » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:54 am

And with some added bonus features, good one Rick. Whats cool is how that list breaks down what you can find here. Tons of info.

Chris.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Nicholas, I know you and I have talked about this via email in the past. It would be interesting to pursue and maybe sometime in the future once I have my bench up and running "officially" complete we can work on something. As well as input from other forum members and your video experience we could put together a nice CD.

I know Chris has some good video's of wetflow and Larry posted a good video of one my velocity probes in action.

Once I get rolling with the PTS DM product I can find sometime to work on something else . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby bruce » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:16 pm

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby WPH » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Not exactly a video but on Guy Croft Racing Engines website there's a good series on cylinder head modifications. Tons of info often backed up by dyno charts.

Pekka
WPH

Postby Quan-Time » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:49 am

I personally think it would be cool to have a "members only" video which would be free to download at your peril, linked in the members section.

Construction tech's for the bench plans, all the way thru to using it.
Sure i know how do modify cylinder heads in one aspect. Mine. From what ive read ive learnt to adapt what i think is correct, and what seems to work.

If there was some sort of guide, i think it would help much of the confusion for new players, and help confirm methods for long time users, or returning.

I have discussed this with Bruce a while ago. But i have had a few people ask me to port / do work on their head and they think because they know me, or have had a beer with me at a pub that im going to work for basically nothing.
Some people even get offended when you suggest that they spend some time building a bench and learning themselves. Thats why i thought some sort of instructional video would be quite useful.

I know that no one will, but check out the video
its just over 18mins long.. So you might want to let it load. Its an "instructional" video on how to play a game called "Quake 3".
I spent MANY hours learning how to exploit the physics of the game engine. Think of it like the movie "The Matrix". When Morpheus is explaining to Neo that agents are still bound by rules, some you can use to your advantage, others you can break.
For someone who has NEVER seen the game, let alone played it, from watching that whole movie completely through, you will have a fairly good understanding of how to move around quickly and use the games "exploits" to your advantage.
I made that movie by request for some people in the Quake3 community. I didn't upload that to google video, but my original version, in high quality (HD video) is still floating around. It got over 10,000 downloads last I heard.

My point is, if a simple video was made, even the most novice of people can get the video, and start learning. Once they have learnt some basics and experimented on their own, they usually get a greater sense of achievement.
On the Quake3 forum, 3 or 4 times a week people would ask "hey, i saw you move around fast, how do you do that" so you upload a simple demo (in-game recorded file, you can "watch" saved game files in quake3) and the community was flooded with "how do i do (insert something here)" forum posts. So i made this video for the community. It instantly cut down the "learning curve" for many gamers and happiness ensued.

Concidering my wife went to uni to do screen studies, she helped "direct" me and give me concepts. And i showed her the result and if she can learn from it, i guessed it was a winner. Either way, I was wondering if there is anything out there, if there isnt, what would be good to "fill the void" as it were.

Sorry for the long post.
Quan-Time

Return to Flowbench techniques