[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Valve adjuster?

Valve adjuster?

Discussion on flowbench testing techniques "top secret" ideas . . .

Postby 98-1074649673 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:56 am

Ok now here is a "dumb" question but I'm going to aks it anyways since this is my forum (not that dumb questions are bad mind you)

I see alot of valve adjusters using dial indicators and I am wondering how they are reading them, what I mean is if they are pushing on the valve then the dial indicator is going backwards. Meaning they have to preload the dial indicator to a preset height like .750 or 1" and then just reversing the numbers? I want to use a dial indicator on my adjuster setup when I make one due to the ease of zeroing.

Any ideas? I'm probably over thinking this process and it really is not a problem . . . :)
98-1074649673

Postby pee wee » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:53 am

Bruce mount dial guage on a separate plate bolted to head(magnetic) tip goes on retainer(same angle as valve) turn fixture valve adjuster to maximum lift(if dial guage doesn't reach all the way adjust so it does) put adjuster to zero lift and zero dial guage(now your ready).
pee wee

Postby 98-1074649673 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:16 am

My plans are to make a universal adjuster like you see on the net forsale, u know the ones that cost mega bucks but are only a few dollars worth of material!

But, I'm curious about the dial indicator. I can see zeroing it out at max travel and as u open the valve u are subtracting the lift from the indicator instead of seeing the actual numbers ie for a .050 lift you would see .950, .100 u would see .900, .150 u would see .850 etc is this how they are working? Or are they a reverse reading indicator?

I'm just curious, I plan on making what I am "thinking" I like the idea they are using the indicator to open the valve makes setup so simple. I'm not interested in using a micrometer head adjuster, I think it is to hard to know when u are actually zero on the valve stem with this setup (just my opinion)
98-1074649673

Postby pee wee » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:43 am

Bruce why complicate it(as long as your measuring at the same angle on what is moving up or down who cares) it can be off the retainer(going to give you the same figure) as the tip of the valve. I have used a vernier to get lift in close quarters(measuring height of adjustment bolt left exposed) as only one dial guage used on a three valve intake(only perfect for one valve but #'s should be the same for all cylinders measured). I guess I compromise in my setup,that's all. I have seen some reputable shops with openers that are more like a micrometer set up(no dial gauge), but I feel to see the indictator at lifts .100"-.200" all the way to cam max lift is the way I like it. Just my three cents worth,hehe.
pee wee

Postby SWB » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:51 pm

I use a dial indicator. I set it up pre-loaded and zero the indicator on the seat, then it backs off for each valve lift point. I don't really like the kind that use a 1/4-20 thread, but it's cheap. I got my dial indicator for about $30.00 and it's not a Chinese model, so I was happy with that.

SWB
SWB

Postby Shawn L » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:37 pm

I've heard a few comments on the dial indicators from people. They seem to say don't use a chinese model.
What is the issue with these types of indicators versus one made somewhere else?
I have seen the chinese ones around and they don't seem to be all that bad when simply looking at them.
Shawn L

Postby SWB » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:03 am

I don't necissarlly have anything against China as a country, I do however have some experiance with the tools eminating from it. My experiance has shown their tools to act more like stage props, which are best at looking like the real thing, rather than acting as such.

Sean
SWB

Postby Shawn L » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm

So i gues your asying the accuracy is not good? Repeatability?
Shawn L

Postby Shawn L » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:55 pm

Sorry I wasn't implying a racist type of feeling here.
So I gues your saying the accuracy is not good? Repeatability?
Shawn L

Postby 84-1074663779 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm

I have had my share of dramas getting repeatable results from dial indicators as well. In every case it has been the way it has been mounted on the head, rather than the dial indicator itself. Valve retainers are slippery little critters, and the indicator must be mounted exactly parallel with the valve axis, and be extremely rigid. Stopping the end of the indicator from skidding around on the retainer can also be difficult.

The way I do it now, is to use a large diameter fine threaded bolt that bears down on the top of the valve stem, and place the dial indicator on the back of the bolt head.

I use a specially prepared bolt with a recess turned on the threaded end that fits neatly over the top of the valve stem. This stops it sliding around and holds the bolt concentric with the valve stem. I have also drilled a dimple in the centre of the bolt head to positively locate the dial indicator.

The bolt threads into a heavy round bar which is held in position by the overhead cam bearing saddles, so it can be just slid along to adjust various valves on each side of the head.

My dial indicator is attached to a bracket welded onto this bar. The whole thing is a pretty simple fixture, but it is very rigid, and it holds everything in perfect alignment along the valve axis.
84-1074663779

Postby SWB » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:31 pm

SWB

Postby Greg » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:22 pm

Is there any reason why a micrometer spindle mounted in an adjustable fixture against the end of the valve wouldnt be accurate?
you could bearing blue the top of the valve and see easily if the anvil of the mic. is square to the top of the valve. Wouldnt this have to be accurate and very repeatable?
Greg

Postby Mouse » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:26 pm

I have thought the same thing. I looked at a few of my old micrometers and scratched my head a bit, but forgot why I never pursued it.
Mouse

Postby Mouse » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:30 pm

Hey, it works pretty good. There are a few issues, like zeroing the scale, and making it ridgid enough. But I think it will make a pretty good, cheap setup.

John
Mouse

Postby Mouse » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:54 pm

Does anyone know if you can zero those digital micrometers no matter where the plunger part is located in relation to the anvil?

John
Mouse

Next

Return to Flowbench techniques