LED lights for bench

post'em if u got'em.

Postby Scott H » Thu May 21, 2009 4:05 pm

jfholm wrote:Albert Einstein once said "Do not try to remember anything you can look up" :D

John

Yup! And if I were betting the farm, I would wager he was at least 50 something when he made that statement. :D

Scott
Scott H

Postby jfholm » Thu May 21, 2009 4:29 pm

And now that I am 60 and suffering from CRS I really believe in that quote

John ;-)
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby Tony » Thu May 21, 2009 8:16 pm

jfholm wrote:
Scott H wrote:Sheesh! I didn't have it committed to memory so I had to look this up.

Scott,
Albert Einstein once said "Do not try to remember anything you can look up" :D

John

I tried using that argument on my kindergarten teacher when she tried to force me to learn the two times table a very long time ago.

The easiest source of UV are the "black lights" used in bars, discos and similar entertainment venues, they will be fairly large. These are special clear fluorescent tubes without the fluorescent coating inside the glass tube. Another application are UV sterilization tubes available in the smaller sizes. These are used in all sorts of strange applications from barbers shops to bug zappers to aquariums and swimming pool filters.

Go to a really good lighting supplier and ask about black light and UV sterilizer, and bug zapper tubes, they will be able to get you something for sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby blaktopr » Thu May 21, 2009 9:30 pm

What I need to find is the amount of black light to exite the fluorecent medium yet does not illuminate the object you are viewing.
Chris Sikorski
blaktopr

Postby Flash » Sun May 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Malvin wrote:jfholm here is a link to some glow in the dark string

www.bikudo.com/buy/details/329675/color_glow_in_the_dark_string.html

That string might work hold a charge for 8-10 hours
they claim.

Malvin :)

The link don't seem to work?............just me ???
Gordon
Flash

Postby slracer » Sun May 24, 2009 5:44 pm

It pops up with a URL that says "sorry, this ad is no longer available" when I tried it. -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby Malvin » Sun May 24, 2009 10:03 pm

Sorry Guys I did try that link before I put it up.

Here is a other I found on glow in the dark string
I tired it to and works for me here is that link.

http://www.technomoves.com/20ft_glow_string.html

Malvin :)
Malvin

Postby slracer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 am

After looking at the LED lights and transformers and accessories, I thought there might be a "better" (read that as "Cheaper" :D ) way. I went to my local Thrift store and found a bunch of old computer equipment transformers in different Voltage ranges and an old, common extension cord. 3 supplies and the extension set me back $1. I went home and checked out the supplies and all 3 worked! In fact, they all overworked; one from Radio Shack was rated at 12 VDC but showed nearly 18 on my voltmeter. I changed to a different meter, then another but the result was the same: 17.6 to 18.5 VDC. I then checked a Nokia brand supply rated at 3.7 VDC and it registered from 8.4 to 8.7 VDC on the 3 meters. Finally, a Motorola brand rated at 5.9 VDC actually showed 6.1 VDC on all 3 meters. The point is, if you try this approach, check the voltages! I clipped the female end off the extension with about 10 inches of cord and wired a wall switch into it (for testing - a toggle will be used for the final wiring). I then dropped the transformer into a junction box (which will go behind the control panel on the bench) and clipped off the funny little plug on the end of the cord on the transformer. When I attached the short extension to a (soon to be) hot wire, I checked the output again and found no change so the next step will be to decide which transformer to use and how many LEDs I need for which style and wire the settling chamber. For the 1 pic is worth 1000 words guys, the pic below shows the "assembly" partially assembled. With some high output LEDs, I could be in business for under $15 including shipping. Worth a shot? -- Doug

Hmmm! The add a pic button seems to be missing? Anyone else having this problem? Maybe it doesn't work in this section as I tried a new post and it didn't work again. I'll try to find a related post and add the pic in there.

I started a new topic here so pics can be posted.
http://www.tractorsport.com/cgi-bin....465;r=1
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jfholm » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:47 am

I found a source for florescent thread to used with black light and flow bench
http://www.hookhack.com/

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby Flash » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:22 pm

jfholm wrote:I found a source for florescent thread to used with black light and flow bench
http://www.hookhack.com/

John

All i see is a fly fishing sight???????

can't seem to find any black light string...........
Gordon
Flash

Postby jfholm » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:27 am

It's the Floss/Chenille and if you look down the page just a little you will see where it lists the fluorescent Floss/Chenille

John
jfholm

Previous

Return to Flowbench Links