[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Harbor Freight Router Speed Controller

Harbor Freight Router Speed Controller

post'em if u got'em.

Postby jfholm » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:14 pm

Hey Everyone,
If you are looking for a super cheap motor speed controller the Harbor Freight Router Speed Controller is on sale for $14.99

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby coulterracn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:35 am

Has anyone had trouble with a Harbor Freight router speed control? I installed one on my flowbench and the controller did not work in any of the three positions on the switch. Since I cut the cord to make the internal connections I don't know if they'll replace it. The next one I will test with my electric grinder before installing it in the flowbench.

I removed the rear cover on the router control switch to see if anything looked out of place. I found it odd that the Black wire from the main power cord went to the power terminal of the output recepticle via the fuse holder. I would have thought the main power wire would have went to the primary side of the variable switch.

Anyone have any suggestions?
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby slracer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:51 am

My router control has been trouble free! When I did have a problem with a Harbor Freight tool (a 4-1/2 inch grinder), I called and explained the problem and they shipped me a new one. They told me the old one was broken so they didn't want it! I kept it for spare parts. -- Doug
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby 49-1183904562 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:02 pm

coulterracn;

FYI,
Just remember these things are designed to work with universal motors not induction motors like most bench grinders (may only have little effect on speed). A universal motor will be one that has brushes.

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby 99R/T » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:58 pm

99R/T

Postby coulterracn » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:15 pm

Hey all,

Thanks for the help on the HF switch. My problem was I did not connect the white wire from the HF switch directly to the white wire on the vaccum motor. I had connected the white wire from the HF switch to the common bus bar in the power panel. I connected the white wire from the vaccum motor to the common bus bar in the power panel.

I had assumed the HF switch would control the motor speed thru the Black (HOT) wire. I was wrong! It controls the motor speed thru the White (COMMON/NUETRAL) wire.

I tested my HF switch by splicing the wires to the original cord and plugging it into a recepticle and plugging my Dewalt rotary grinder (that I use for porting) into the HF switch. The switch worked perfectly.

Ray
Electrician for 37 years
Porting heads & intake manifolds for 37 years
"I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"
coulterracn

Postby jsa » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:02 am

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:15 am

86rocco1

Postby andykaw1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:36 am

Hello, by me (Italy) on the 220/240 V AC single phase (home supply) the colour are:
1) Brown : Phase
2) Light Blue : Neutral
3) Jellow/green : Earth (ground)

But on the universal motor you can connect in the same way the brown and the the light-blue, the motor will run alwais in the same direction.
The earth (Jellow-green, ground) is for the the life-saving auto switch. (I do not know the right translated name).
If happends a little short circuit (less than 250mA) the general switch shut off.

Regards,
Andrea :D
andykaw1

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:05 am

86rocco1

Postby 99R/T » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:38 am

99R/T

Postby 86rocco1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 am

That's bad practice but weird stuff like that does happen sometimeswhere you have individual wires pulled through conduit. It rarely happens in residential wiring where 3 or 4 conductor Romex or BX cable is the norm.
86rocco1

Postby jsa » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Cheers

John
jsa

Postby joep » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:56 pm

i bought one of those a while back on sale for 10 bux ea. so i figured what the heck right? it works perfect for my dewalt 1/4" diegrinder. hmm i'll have to go back and get another one for the bench at the store we have here in Ma.
joep

Return to Flowbench Links