extrusion honing

Have an interesting technique, tool or just anything related to porting? Post it here . . . please no bashing anyone for the model of engine they are working, we're here to share ideas . . .

Postby Pocket Rocket » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:51 pm

i am new to the porting game - the intake manifolds i do are 2 peice design were the plenum seperates from the runners. the same engine is used in another car (which is a much bigger market) but the intake manifold is virtually identical apart from the fact that the manifold is one piece which makes working on it much more difficult and some areas that you simply couldnt reach. the only way i can think of getting the same or similar results from both manifolds would be extrusion honing.

i am working on a limited budget from my home garage but i would like to get into extrusion honing. is their a cost effective kit available for the likes of me and what do you guys recommend. pricings would be handy too!

here's some pics of the 2 piece - as you can imagine it is labour intensive doing, but the 1 peice would be virtually impossible using my conventional methods.....

thanks

Mike
Pocket Rocket

Postby Pocket Rocket » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

i will upload some before and after pics of the porting work i do on the 2 peice for you to scrutinize!
Pocket Rocket

Postby paulzig » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:52 am

No disrespect intended .. But, why would you consider extrude style porting on a manifold or 'god forbid' a cylinder head??

You have ZERO control of where you take material out and the sort of shape that you are trying to achieve ... All it can do is take material out of the sharpest turn or highest velocity area in your runner or port ..

IMO, It'd be more logical and constructive to cut the manifold, port it, and then re-weld it again ...
paulzig

Postby 49-1183904562 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:26 am

Can you post a picture of the upper plenum? You may be able to fab a clean removable top.

Key points for tubes and lower are mostly port matching which will entail doweling for indexing.

The runners can be effectively smoothed with a proper sized flap wheel on a flex shaft slow as you go or it will bite you. I did some 5.0 intakes runners this way by brazing a flap wheel to a 1/4 drive sring extention. "that is unless you are trying to increase size"

Rick
49-1183904562

Postby Pocket Rocket » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:10 pm

thanks Rick,

on the 2 piece design you can reach all the areas that need decasting - just! but thats only because i have access from both ends and thats using a flexi with a flap wheel, the curve is just too severe but i'm thinking of trying a flexi hone brush to see if that can be used. size of the runners isnt being increased at the moment - although on the 2 piece ones size is increased on the plenum side for matching. i wont increase size until i have a flow bench..................

Mike

i will post pics of the plenum - i think there's a clean line to cut and reweld. never welded ally before but would simplify the job.
Pocket Rocket

Return to Porting techniques?