[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - swirl ports.....

swirl ports.....

Have an interesting technique, tool or just anything related to porting? Post it here . . . please no bashing anyone for the model of engine they are working, we're here to share ideas . . .

Postby Vicoor » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:35 pm

$***@! (insert your favorite) expletive

As some of you may recall I am working on a 22RE Toyota cylinder head trying to make it better.

First I built a

Then I started experimenting with a

After that post I started working on the intake ports and was able to make some moderate gains (about 18%)

So I got a new head and went to work with what I had learned. It came to the point where I was trying to get the ports to flow the same and I started running into trouble.
It seems that the dynamics of the "swirling" airstream were very sensitive to slight changes and I could not get consistent results.

It was at this point that I reasoned "a substantial redesign is in order."

see pics:

As you can see, I've eliminated the swirl by grinding out and straightening the inside radius and then filled in the outside radius and bowl area to shape a more conventional port.

This resulted in over a 50% increase in flow despite the fact that the port volume is substantially smaller than before.

Where I am at now is at the maximaum test lift of .500" (I'll be rumnning a .425" lift cam) i get to the maximum flow for the port.

In other words when I increase the lift beyond .500" the flow stays the same or goes slightly down.

Is this good?
Vicoor

Return to Porting techniques?