[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Cutters and other products to port heads

Cutters and other products to port heads

Have an interesting technique, tool or just anything related to porting? Post it here . . . please no bashing anyone for the model of engine they are working, we're here to share ideas . . .

Postby Mousehouse1 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:56 pm

Where do you guys buy your porting tools or supplies? I need to restock my supplies and don't know any good places to go besides Summit or Jegs.

I know Standard Abrasives sells stuff but are they the most reasonable?
Mousehouse1

Postby gofaster » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:14 pm

I buy ALL of my carbides from Joe Mondello. He has the best selection of shapes, tooth pitches, and lengths in the business. He also offers a resharpening service. Check out his reverse teardrop! You can go around the shortside with it.

For abrasives I mostly use Standard abrasives. They used to offer a large porting assortment package that sets you up with samples of most of their line. I tried tio find it real quick on the web and couldn't. They have distributors all over the country. For flapper paper, I use Standard, Norton , or 3-M, and watch the sales flyers from J&L, MSC, and ENCO. Their products are consistent. I stay away from the no-name import stuff.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Mousehouse1 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks Jim. I will see if I can find the standard abrasives kit you are talking about.

I found some of the standard abrasives stuff but didn't see anything on Joes site. Did I miss it?
Mousehouse1

Postby gofaster » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:58 pm

Mondello Technical School is Joe's outlet for porting and blueprinting supplies.

Technical Information Line: 805-237-9185

Orders Only: 888-666-3355

You'll find anything you need there. If you can't find it on the site, call them. Jodi or Mary will get you squared away. They're great people!

Things are kind of hectic here between the shop and the Holidays, but when I get a chance, I'll try to see how I got that big box of supplies from SA. I looked real quick on the internet and just found those tiny sets for the guy who just wants to try to mangle his first and last set of heads.
If I don't get back to you in a few days, PM me and remind me.
Jim
gofaster

Postby airflowdevelop » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:06 pm

www.ruffstuff.com

fast service, nice burrs, even nicer pricing if you deal with them for a while.
airflowdevelop

Postby gofaster » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:30 pm

Airflowdevelopment,

Thanks for adding the url for Cylinder Head Abrasives. That's another great source.

Their SDT-100 Seat Depth Tool is a very handy item! It indicates the seat depth in relation to the head gasket surface, and helps you get all of your seats to the same depth.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:14 am

Ordered some stuff from Joe Mondello. Great guy to talk to and he has a lot of ideas to share. Thanks Jim for sending me to him.
Mousehouse1

Return to Porting techniques?