[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Nick's bench

Nick's bench

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby Mousehouse1 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:24 am

Thanks Nick. Those helped explain it. I was wondering how you did the stoppers. What brand of deck plates did you use?

What kind of clay did you use in the above photo? I used modeling clay but it doesn't want to stick to the head on the upper flow numbers. It trys to get sucked through the port. I had a intake radius made and that will cure that problem.
Mousehouse1

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:22 pm

Nick,

The hex part, attached to the dial indicator for adjustment, did you make this and if so can you provide a drawing or describition ?
Peter

Postby gofaster » Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:18 pm

To keep the valves from sucking open during flow tests, I use old inner valve springs. They're a lot stiffer than the checking springs they sell.
Jim
gofaster

Postby larrycavan » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:28 pm

Find yourself a stock pile of old Mikuni carbs from somewhere and grab every throttle slide spring you can get your hands on. They're perfect for flowbench use as valve springs...
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:23 pm

The deck plates are Becksons. They work great.

The clay is Play Dough from the store. If you let it sit out or let your kid play with it, it will get stiffer and stay put. Fresh out of the can it is to soft and will not stay.

The valve opening fixture is a 3/8 coupler nut, with a 3/8 tread all and a t handle on the top. I'll post a picture of the back side tonight.

For springs I have tried a few different ones and settled on one that is not to stiff. IF it is to stiff the fixture will deflect and not show true lift. I am going to build a better one, that slides down a bar, like the pro ones. This works good but takes to long to set up.

Nick
Nick

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:49 pm

Nick,

I'm working on one that slides, that's why I asked about the hex part. I will post pictures as soon as it's done, but it's simple, uses a 4 ft piece of T-Track, cut in half and then bolted back to back. Total cost so far $85.00
Peter

Postby 86rocco » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:14 pm

86rocco

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:29 pm

Here is the back side. This is a 1x1/8 flat steel welded to the coupler nut. I machined down the bottom so it would go all the way down on the dial indicator. It does not get much simpler than this. The other parts are from the dial indicators stand.

Nick
Nick

Postby Jesse Lackman » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:30 pm

Cool original design.

Who loves Jessica?

Probably more important does Jessica love wet flowed french fries?
Jesse Lackman

Jesse Lackman

Postby Mouse » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:06 am

That is so frickin awsome!

You can compensate for the deflection by mounting a dial indicator to the head of the valve and mapping the deflection for each lift value.
Mouse

Postby gofaster » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:08 am

If you put the indicator on an independent arm from the valve opener, you don't have to worry about deflection. Otherwise, you need an opening jig that is extremely rigid. For Harley testing, I use cast iron fixtures that are made by Ron Trock. Very rigid units.
Jim
gofaster

Postby Thomas Vaught » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:48 pm

Some people mount the dial indicator on the valve retainer and use a mechanical screw to push the valve tip. That way the dial indicator sees less side to side movement on the stem of the indicator from the turning of the screw.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:23 pm

I never said it was perfect. I needed something to get started. There is not enough deflection to matter. Maybe a few tho at full lift if that much. This deal works real well, it's just a little slow to set it up. Very repeatable. Ace hardware has A nice selection of springs.

Nick Loves Jessica, of course! Jessica likes here fries with ketchup, No water added. I though about taking that out of the pic, but I figured you would just ignore it, guess not. :D

Nick
Nick

Postby Thomas Vaught » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:44 pm

I personally never mean any disrespect to anyone when I post. I just pass on ideas vs suggestions.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby larrycavan » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:42 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Flowbench projects