[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - New Bench Nearing Completion

New Bench Nearing Completion

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby blownalcohol » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:50 pm

Just an update on the progress of my bench. Thanks to everyone who threw in their ideas in my original post....general flowbench...."newbie bench questions"

I decided to go with a cabinet style with a seperate motor supply box (Modified Audie's). The vac motor route was much more feasable at this time.....my research into new centrifugal blowers showed them costing several thousand dollars. This way I have an operational bench but it is of a design that will allow me to upgrade to a centrifugal blower setup at some point, should I decide to. The supply box can be removed very easily and replaced with the blower assembly.

I ended up with 15 of the surplus center motors....planned on 14, but when the box was laid out dimensionally I found 15 fit just perfect.....so 15 it was. I have 8 of them wired to run at all times and have the others set up with check valves on the inlets to allow them to be brought in as necessary.

The bench ended up being a little larger than I had initially intended, but was necessary due to the length of my flow element.

I went with all FP stuff.....FP1 with extra pressure sensor, 2.5" HV flow element, and their PWM valve for depression control. John is awesome. His products are first class, he can be reached via telephone or email very easily,and he takes time to answer everyone of my questions....no matter how dumb they may be. I am an absolute newbie to this bench building, but he didn't hesitate helping me every step of the way. I highly recommend his products to anyone considering building a flowbench. As a side note....when I first hit the switch with his calibration plate installed I was within .2 cfm of his number....I was thoroughly impressed with his accuracy.

My bench is pretty much operational at this point. I still have to build a head fixture and valve opening set-up. I hope to work on these items this weekend. I am having some decals made to make it look a little more finished.

I have some pics below, and if anyone sees something that doesn't look right, please speak up. :)

Okay....I'm having trouble with the pics. I think I got one uploaded by just using a file attachment. If nothing is here then I was wrong.

Image Image

Image Image

Edited By bruce on 1173835061
blownalcohol

Postby riga team » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:18 pm

very nice and impressive

Anatoly
riga team

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:53 pm

Well done !

A very fine looking flowbench.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby larrycavan » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:42 pm

Really nice job on the bench. As you're already finding out, the FP1 was an excellent choice. You're going to like it a lot better than traditional guages.
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby rusty105 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Nice work :D
Similiar to what I am designing right now, although I think I may mount the motor box front to back, as opposed to left to right, like you have. And I think I am going to continue the bevel on the front panel all the way across, maybe not as deep. Since my budget is small for this little project I am considering going with an orifice type, that can be later converted to a pitot tube, with FP-1 controls. For now I am going to use manometers (budget reasons).

Question:
Is that paint on the outside or laminate? If it is laminate, where did you get it from??

Thanks
Rusty
Rusty
Race Car Design and Fabrication Forums
rusty105

Postby blownalcohol » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:01 pm

Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby apex944 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Jeff, one of the nicest benches I've seen, well done. In my head that's what my final bench will look like someday.

I too am going with mostly FP stuff and some of Bruce's parts where possible.

So can you put anymore pix up of the inside? I want to see how you've laid things out.

Also, I really like that plate on the top. It looks like maybe it was originally for some other purpose? Or did you machine those corners like that?
apex944

Postby blownalcohol » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:27 pm

Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby bruce » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:43 pm

No problems with space I can easily add them if you email them to me like before.
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby blownalcohol » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby 1960flh » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:25 pm

Jeff;

How do you switch between suck & Blow for testing?

Nice bench,

Rick
HP = Torque x RPM / 5252
1960flh

Postby blownalcohol » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Jeff Fagala
jdfperformance.com
blownalcohol

Postby ERNIE CANTON » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:23 pm

ERNIE CANTON

Postby Thomas Vaught » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:21 pm

What is the part number for the check valves and the source location? Thanks