[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - My Turn Now - Flowbench build up for more Power

My Turn Now - Flowbench build up for more Power

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby NemeSS » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:46 pm

First of all let me introduce myself,
my name is Art and i am from TX,i currently am an automotive machinist and engine builder/fabricator (reman. OEM) i have been reading this forum and reesarching the posts for a few days now, based on the info on this forum reading everybodys posts and results stories i decided that i will build a flow bench based on a Flow Performance FP1 processor and Flow Performance components and other services offered through this forum with the aide of the knowledgeable people on this forum
i am inthe process of establishing my own small machine shop/installation center mainly for hi-perf./racing
i have already leased a small warehouse type building for my dream and just sold my 9.90's street racer which i built up
because i am commited to suceed, i am 25 yrs old and
have been machining for 3+yrs now and its a love to me.

please feel free to offer any advice,suggestions,reccomendations,services or any other type of material related to this topic i have read many hours worth of posts and i understand that there are basically 2 types of benches-pitot and orifice type.
please correct me or educate me if i may have missed something
i understand that both types of benches are accurate equally
but from what i have read so far it seems i am leaning towards
the pitot tube type of bench however let me know what your opinions from both types of benches
also my uncle is a commercial/custom cabinet maker by trade so i will be using his services
Thanx
NemeSS

Postby bruce » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Hello Art welcome to our addiction!
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby larrycavan » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:43 pm

Hi Art

Either type of bench will get the job done. The trend lately seems to be toward pitot benches. You're starting off the right way by reading the posts. Take your time, get yourself comfortable with what you're attempting, think things through and it should go pretty smoothly for you. Don't rush any part of the assembly process. What's the saying....take the time to do it right or you'll make the time to do it over..

To go with the flowbench there are 3 inexpensive accessories that I feel very strongly about.

1. FP1 w/ 200" test pressure upgrade
2. Two J- bend pitot tubes -narrow radius and one larger
3. Pipe Max - can't beat the value for the price.

Looks like you already got the first one covered...

The top and back of the bench cabinet should be removable and if you go the vacuum motor route, make a separate assembly to mount the motors to that can be unplugged and removed from the bench for maintenance. It's very doable and not difficult to engineer.

Install check valves on the vacuum motor intakes.

Good Luck,

Larry C

:D
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Art.

Orifice or pitot, is really just personal preference. I myself have an orifice bench, but if I was starting off again completely from scratch, would probably go the FP1 route myself. but there are plenty of other important decisions to make.

Most people here run multiple vacuum cleaner motors, and they work fine. But do not overlook the possibility of using a single large variable speed blower in your bench. And whatever blower system you finally decide upon, make provision for quick and easy internal access for maintenance.

Traditionally the flow is reversed through a single test hole in the bench top, for doing either induction or exhaust side measurements. Another alternative way is to have two test holes. One blowing and one sucking. That can significantly simplify internal bench construction, and solve a lot of associated problems with flow reversal.

All timber construction is also the traditional way, but a welded steel angle frame, with bolted on panels can be built far stronger, better resist leaking corners, and may be easier for some of us with better steel than timber fabrication skills. Wood screws never go back quite as tight the second time around, and are not recommended for securing frequently removed access panels.

There is probably no single "best" way to go about this, and I am not trying to steer you in any particular direction. So very much depends on your own personal preferences and ideas.
Also known as the infamous "Warpspeed" on some other Forums.
Tony

Postby NemeSS » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:53 am

thanx for the help fellas
keep it coming
peace
NemeSS

Postby Griffin » Sat May 20, 2006 2:29 am

Hmmm - hey Larry - whats a "pipe Max"?
Griffin

Postby 86rocco » Sat May 20, 2006 6:18 am

86rocco

Postby larrycavan » Sat May 20, 2006 11:04 pm