[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Tower of Power - Everything a bench should be...

Tower of Power - Everything a bench should be...

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby Mouse » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:29 pm

Getting my new bench together. Here is a picture of the frame, air box (Tower of Power) and air box cap.

The air box is upside down in the photo, to show the intake and exhaust holes. The cap has an exhaust hole. Hopefully, i will be able to exhaust air through the top during intake mode, and not the bottom.

The air box goes inside the frame. To reverse air flow, it is moved from one side of frame to the other. The air is pushed/pulled through a single hole in the bottom of the frame.

The air box cap and plumbing (bottom) is in place. This setup can use either the Flow Performance flow element and bench receptacle system, or a settling chamber and flow element, or a an orifice setup can be placed in the frame.

There is a 3" outlet in the pipe leading out of the frame for a test pressure adjustment bleed valve.

A Flow Performance FE2.5m flow element and the FR4b receptacle in place. Notice the gap behind the bench surface for C clamps and other fasteners for locating your test piece.

The air box has 3 valves that allow 2 motors at a time to run without pulling air through the other unused motors.

Hopefully, I will get 500 cfm through this thing with 8 SurplusCenter.com #16-1234 motors.

The foot print for this bench is 2'x2'.
Mouse

Postby larrycavan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:43 pm

John,

At last...the drawings are coming to life! Looks like a good start John...post some test results...

Larry C :D
larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Mousehouse1 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:08 am

John the bench looks good. Keep us posted on your progress.
Mousehouse1

Postby Nick » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:59 am

It looks like you put a lot of thought into this one.
I like the way you are changing air flow directions.

Good work

Nick
Nick

Postby Mouse » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:48 am

After installing all the motors in the tower, it looks pretty cramped for space in the exhaust side. This may restrict flow. I may have to exhaust this side both from the top and bottom for satisfactory flow. I don't really wantr to exhaust out the bottom because I don't know which way to direct the exhaust so that it won't create problems, like becoming a leaf blower inside my shop.
Mouse

Postby larrycavan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:54 pm

larrycavan
Site Admin

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:44 pm

The SF 1200 bench has the motors mounted at the very bottom of the bench facing upward. Not much space there yet the motors exhaust just fine. I would try it before doing a second hole.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mouse » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:27 pm

Preliminary testing of the TP (Tower of Power) flow bench using a Flow Performance FE2.5m flow element and an FR4b bench receptacle and SurplusCenter.com #16-1234 motors:

All figures are at 28"wc

2 motors....180 SCFM
4 motors....340 SCFM
6 motors....485 SCFM
8 motors....560 SCFM

This is with a single exhaust outlet at the top. I will try another exhaust on the bottom also.
This is also with a 3" pipe leading down from the TP. Since a 4" Y will not fit inside the 2' width of the bench, I will try to cut two 4" Ls and glue them back together to make a more compact 4" Y so that I can use a 4" down pipe from the TP.

Comments:

The built in valves work great. The whole thing is surprisingly quiet.

Works well with a 30 amp 220 volt dryer circuit.

John
Mouse

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:39 pm

Notice the following?

All figures are at 28"wc

1 motor roughly 100 SCFM

2 motors....180 SCFM (or 90% of flow)
4 motors....340 SCFM (or 95% of flow)
6 motors....485 SCFM (or 81% of flow)
8 motors....560 SCFM (or 70% of flow)

As you add motors to the equation the actual flow will drop more and more and you get less average flow out of each motor.

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mouse » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:30 pm

Yes, internal restrictions probably.
Mouse

Postby Thomas Vaught » Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:37 pm

John, can you repost your internal drawing of the motor box for the Tower of Power?

Thanks

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mouse » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:09 am

The only changes sp far are that I am exhausting out the top instead of the bottom while in intake mode. Keeps the "leaf blower" effect from dusting my shop floor at inconvenient times. I also have a valve every two motors (I have 8 motors in actual build).

John
Mouse

Postby Thomas Vaught » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:37 pm

Thanks. I am still looking at the horizontal check valve orientation for a friends bench. If he wanted to buy the check valves (capable of enough flow for 6 motors flowing - Bottom check valve has to support flow of the 6 motors above it).

Please pm me with a price.

Thanks

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Postby Mouse » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:50 pm

The Tower of Power hit 610 SCFM @ 28" today! This was venting all the exhaust out the top and none through the bottom.

Specs:
8 SurplusCenter.com #16-1234 vacuum motors
Flow Performance FE2.5m flow element
Flow Performance FR4b bench recptacle
30 amp 220 volt cloths dryer circuit
3 internal check valves, every two motors.

I placed a 4" down pipe and Y in place of the previous 3" down pipe and Y from the air box.
I wired the motors in parallel so that I could use household 20 amp switches instead of finding 220 volt switches.

John
Mouse

Postby Thomas Vaught » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:39 pm

Nice work.

The FP FE2.5m is a "Hot Wire" or a Pitot tube
element?

Tom V.
Thomas Vaught

Next

Return to Readers Flowbench projects