Jakes Bench - build started

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby jakesportingservice » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:11 am

Thanks for the nice comment John its always great hear.

Hi Max yes you are correct they are toilet plungers that i am using for the controll valves i filled the inside with a piece of wood to stiffen it up a bit. i read that somewhere here on the board thanks for the tip !
On the boards with the orifice it is a rotating disk. I know everyone cringes when they here that but i had to try it for myself. Now back to the disk it is sandwiched between two boards of equal thickness and has a spacer ring to get the clearance for the disk to rotate. This ring was actually cut off the same material i used for the disk. As for the machining of the orifice holes i used a circle cutter i bought at sears and very painfully kept making adjustments to the cutter to get my orifice sizing to the measurments that i wanted.
On the question of the plans is ? I found the msd article and it really got me goin but if it wasn't for this site i would be as far as i am right now .
Thanks Bruce for having such a great interest in Flowbenches

I didn't really buy any plans just studied this great site for a couple of months and figured that this is my first bench build so i went with the msd plans and made a bunch of changes to suit my needs and away we went. My box dimensions are 40" tall with out the 2" top plenum 32" wide and 30" deep. It will accept 11 mix and match vacuum cleaner motors that so many people donated to my addiction. So far i only have 8 motors so there is still room to expand .

sorry for the long post. Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby RACEPUMPER » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:44 am

It's coming along great Jake, keep those pics coming

Jim
Whats another word for Thesaurus?
RACEPUMPER

Postby msj442 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:17 pm

thanks for all the pics jake and reply.i was just curious on the holes cuz i know it is not easy to hole saw holes in thin gauge steel without distorting the edges unless you put a board or something underneath. anyways glad to see its coming together even with no blueprints. excellent job. im a blueprint kinda guy i guess.
msj442

Postby jakesportingservice » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:14 am

Hi everyone i have a question that i really havn't found an answer to or i just dont understand it. I made my probes out of 3/16 steel brake line and drilled four small holes around the end of them. Should the end of the tubing be closed?
Should all of the probes to hook up the manometers be like this ? I'm having trouble understanding this and any help would be greatly appreciated. I also attached a photo of what the probes look like.

Thanks , Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:45 am

Hello to everyone i have made a bunch of progress and the bench has been fired up and running :)
I still have to build the inclined manometer but it is started and just needs finished. I must say that this is the greatest site ever as i had a problem in my head and came here and read some of the forum and it answered my question. Thanks for the great site Bruce . The spread sheets are awesome and helped me alot to understand more as i made a calibration plate and took it to work and flowed it and then came here and checked the numbers and much to my surprise they were very close. With a little ajustment of the cd to .6 it came out to be within .2 of a cfm
The bench is going to get some paint on the out side sometime this week hopefully so i can mount the incline and start calibrating .

More pics to come Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby RACEPUMPER » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:02 am

Come on Jake, where are those pictures?

Jim
Whats another word for Thesaurus?
RACEPUMPER

Postby jakesportingservice » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi all heres a couple more pics . The bench is not fully painted yet the bottom of the box will be painted black and when i get that fished and the inclined manometer mounte d i will post a pic of the completed bench. So what does everyone think so far ?

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:39 pm

Another pic
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:41 pm

Another
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:42 pm

Another
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Here a pic of the orifice plate and the percent scale that i made using the spreadsheet that i think was 86rocco posted
I must say thanks to him because it made it really simple to lay out.
Thats the last pic i have for now but will post more once i have the box painted and manometers mounted.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby jfholm » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:51 pm

Jake,
Looking great! It gets exciting when it gets close. Even with the little one I built to learn and test the build it worked so good that I really got excited.

Have you fired it up at all yet even just to hear it?

John
It is a wise man that learns from his mistakes, but it is a wiser man that learns from the mistakes of others.
jfholm

Postby jakesportingservice » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi yes i have had it running and now i 'm having an issue with trying to calibrate but i'm going to post that part in the orifice discussion area. Just as an update the inclined is built and the bench is painted and i have been playing with the bench trying to figure it out.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:19 pm

Heres a pic of where the deck plates are located
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Last pic this is one of the clippard valve and the plumbing to it. The tubing needs to fastened and straighted up a bit to make it look better but until the calibration is figured out i think it will be fine the way it is.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Previous

Return to Readers Flowbench projects