[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Jakes Bench - build started

Jakes Bench - build started

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:19 pm

I've been trying to find a suitable valve setup that is cost effective and pretty much off-the-shelf in design. As I said I've given toilet flappers more than a few looks. I'll have to look at them again now . . .
"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby jakesportingservice » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:33 pm

I must say the cost virtually nothing and there really aren't any moving parts being that the flapper is so pliable .
The bar in the flapper is a piece of tubing with a 5/16 nut welded to it for fastening it to the board. I kept the rod up away from the tubing a little bit to keep the flapper rubber as flat as possible all in all it maybe took me 2 hours to construct and thats thinking of how to do it also. The next one will be easy to make.
jakesportingservice

Postby slracer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:13 pm

[/quote] Heres a pic of the new valve before cutting the bulb off. [quote]

Just wondering if the bulb has to be cut off? It seems it would provide a little extra weight to help insure closing and also provide more stiffness to prevent the sealing surface from deforming at higher depressions. Are there clearance problems with the bulb in place? -- Doug

Hmmm, I guess that is not how to make a "QUOTE". :p
I choose NOT to be an ordinary man because it is my right to be uncommon if I can! - unknown
slracer

Postby jakesportingservice » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi Doug in my case the bulb had to be cut off because I had clearance issues when the flap opened. The valve doesn't swing on the rod it's just there to hold the valve. I'm not saying that the bulb couldn't stay there but in my case it just wouldn't work.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby thomasvaught-1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Your check valves and housing looks great. I made a similar "Box" deal in 1996 for a racer friend of mine on his MSD style bench. The only thing I ever wondered about, years ago, was the fact that you had a contraction through the valves, then an expansion in the box, and then another contraction through the vacuum motors. Maybe not as clean as 1 check valve per motor but failsafe as far as always allowing air to both motors. As long as two motors are running at the same time always, no issues with your design.

Tom Vaught
thomasvaught-1

Postby jakesportingservice » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info Tom great to here someone else has done this already and that it does work.
I have made two more seperate boxes with one valve per box for two other motors thats one valve per motor.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:56 pm

Hi made some more progress this weekend and thought to show some more pics of how its coming along.
I must say thanks to dennis for the help with the wiring it wouldn't have been no where as neat as it is without his help.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:57 pm

Heres a pic of the four check valves installed
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:00 pm

Now heres a pic of the cabinet going together well I should say almost together
jakesportingservice

Postby jakesportingservice » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:03 pm

Last one for this week but more to come as I make more progress. Sure would like to here what everyone thinks of this thing so far.

Thanks Jake
jakesportingservice

Postby 106-1194218389 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:02 am

Jake,
It really is looking nice. I am especially intrigued with you check valve system. I am going to check out doing something like that.

It will be nice to see it up and running. The only trouble with these projects is the journey is most of the fun. Won't have anything to talk about when we are done. :D

John
106-1194218389

Postby msj442 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:03 am

looks good jake. youve done your homework i can see. from what ive read on this forum of course it looks like the 2x2 framing will be great insurance. also the valves switched top and bottom will help sealing alot i bet.
not an expert just thought i would let you know it looks freggin awesome. i was going to do a bench almost exactly like yours but ended up going with bruces.
thanks, max
msj442

Postby msj442 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:05 am

what exactly did you use for material for your valves? its hard to tell in pic. looks like toilet plunger but cant tell for sure.
msj442

Postby msj442 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 am

sorry keep coming up on other questions. are you using mercdog plans? is it a disk under the wood or just fixed?
msj442

Postby msj442 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:14 am

ok ive deciced its a small disk sandwiched between the wood. what tooling did you use to cut your orifices? what gauge metal? also did you shim the boards up for clearance on the disk or just router a relief in? ok ill leave you alone for now. lol
msj442

PreviousNext

Return to Readers Flowbench projects