[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Tractorsport Flowbench Forum Archive • View topic - Motor inlet radius

Motor inlet radius

A place to post links to your flowbench projects to share with everyone on the board.  You can share a description and pics also here please limit the size of your picture files to low res pics, Thanks

Postby Scott » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:01 pm

I went to work and made an inlet radius plate for a motor.
It's not the ideal shape, its got a 1/2" radius, should have an .843 radius, but we'll try it any way. I also made a mold out of Delrin, and was thinking I'd try casting them from bondo. The motor is out of an old vac. I dont know what species, but it's 5.7" and has a 1-11/16" opening and draws 11 amps. I'll be building a box this afternoon yet to do some testing with the inlet plate. Comments welcome

Scott
Scott

Postby Nick » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:35 pm

Re-size you pics to like 600x400. They will fit the screen better.

The radius looks good.

Nick
Nick

Postby Scott » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:43 am

Well, I made a few tests on the motor inlet plate tonight.

first test without the inlet plate, it would pull 5" across a 2.000" dia orifice

Test with the inet plate, it pulled 5-1/4".

My test set up is a little crude, but i got it to seal up good with duct tape. I tested each way multiple times with same results.

I thought there would be quite a jump in flow....what do you guys think?

I can speculate that the exhaust is the limiting factor, time to sacrifice on of these lambs to the die grinder.

Scott
Scott

Postby Scott » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:28 am

Exhaust is not the limiting factor, I "ported" the exhaust and the results were the same. Well, so much for trying to get 600 cfm out of four motors. If anyone has any ideas for me to try let me know.

RRBD
Scott

Postby 86rocco » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:09 am

I like that idea! Maybe, I'll incorporate that inside
86rocco

Postby bruce » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:20 am

"There is no more formidable adversary than one who perceives he has nothing to lose." - Gen. George S. Patton
bruce
Site Admin

Postby riga team » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:51 am

Idea with radius is always better than flow failure. Will wait results- how better is output.
riga team

Postby Mouse » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:34 pm

Scott,

You went from 121 to 127 cfm. Assuminmg your orifice is a sharp edge.
Mouse

Postby Scott » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Yeah, I know, but you see...I'm on the B.I.F.F. program....its perpetuated by this forum as well as being a fact of life for many of us. Big Improvements For Free is the concept, and as you noted, the improvement was quite small, hence my disapointment :p.

I had some high hopes for this test.....just like the time I hoped for a 10" Pe%&$ by eating Enzyte like skittles, now its 20" and is always in the way................

RRBD

P.S.
Any ideas as to the whys and hows of why the results werent better with the inlet radius plates
Scott

Return to Readers Flowbench projects